Avet SX 5.3 MC?

Started by biggiesmalls, December 07, 2017, 01:54:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thorhammer

Drew,

SoCal is right. My .02:

You should be more concerned with topshot than backing if you are going to surfcast and back from there.  Reason is you're very likely to get an overrun in a cast at some point as the mono transits to braid.  If it were mine it would get 125-150 yds 20 mono and you should still have room for 150 yds braid. 300 is plenty in surf on twenty pound tackle and if you're on a boat chase it down.  Getting backlash out of braid sucks. And it's going to happen. Mag or no mag. Wind don't care about a mag at Carolina Beach.

thorhammer

Not to mention anyone downsizing reel spread intentially is now on probation... watch it buddy... your priorities are getting out of whack and we've got eyes on you 💪🏻

Swami805

I have had an SX for years but it stays home surf fishing. Just doesn't cast as well as a star drag. I had an MX MC but didn't care for the cast control, It worked ok but affected casting distance and I'm not a fan of cast controls in general so I'm a little biased. I use the SX with 30lb braid to a very short (2-3') top shot of 20lb floro and it casts sardines pretty well. It's more of a lob than a cast though.
Backlashes in braid are a bummer but once you get used to it casting with it isn't bad. Be sure to pour some water on the spool before you cast, wet braid casts easier than dry and won't burn your thumb. That goes for mono too.

Do what you can with that you have where you are

mike1010

Quote from: akfish on December 09, 2017, 11:47:01 PM
The price of a spool with the attached drag washer is very reasonable (at least compared to the price Shimano charges for a spool). That said, I service several hundred Avets, mostly MX's and HX's, and have yet to have to replace a drag washer.

Good information.  Thanks.  I must have been unlucky with that SX.  The edge of the original washer came unglued and folded over on itself.