Main Menu

Poppers

Started by Shark Hunter, December 08, 2017, 01:59:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shark Hunter

Gearing up for Florida 2018.
I caught some big ladyfish last September and it was a blast.
When I cast from the Beach, I can only get so far.
If I can hit the second Bar, or get close, They are there in shallow water.
Topwater fishing is exciting and so much fun!
I just wish I could do it more.

Life is Good!

Gfish

Nice assortment, esp. the color variation, Darron. Couple a days ago, I cleaned up my 50+yr. old Heddon "Pumpkinseed" and gave it toa guy at work, who's startin a vintage tackle collection. Today, he gave me this: an all ceramic body Ulua(Giant Travally) popper. Weighes 3oz and yeah it sinks, so yo godda work it pretty quick for surface action. The weight makes it more castable with the heavier ulua rig and ceramic is more tooth-proof. A $30 lure! It might have'ta become a "shelfie".
Gfish
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

MarkT

I like the Halco Roosta poppers for a big pop. Yellowtail and Yellowfin love them!
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

Swami805

I always enjoyed the poor mans popper, a Tady 45, stop it right before it hits the water and wind fast so it skips. Nothing more exciting then fish blowing up on the surface.
Do what you can with that you have where you are

happyhooker

Brings to mind the Jitterbugs & Hula Poppers of freshwater angling.

Frank

Tightlines667

Quote from: Gfish on December 08, 2017, 02:34:53 AM
Nice assortment, esp. the color variation, Darron. Couple a days ago, I cleaned up my 50+yr. old Heddon "Pumpkinseed" and gave it toa guy at work, who's startin a vintage tackle collection. Today, he gave me this: an all ceramic body Ulua(Giant Travally) popper. Weighes 3oz and yeah it sinks, so yo godda work it pretty quick for surface action. The weight makes it more castable with the heavier ulua rig and ceramic is more tooth-proof. A $30 lure! It might have'ta become a "shelfie".
Gfish

Gotta love the Mark White ceramics.  Just don't let it sink to the reef.  There are some beautiful large surface pipers being made these days.  GT Fight clubs are becoming a local favorite. 
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Cor

Quote from: Swami805 on December 08, 2017, 03:18:25 AM
I always enjoyed the poor mans popper, a Tady 45, stop it right before it hits the water and wind fast so it skips. Nothing more exciting then fish blowing up on the surface.
Love it, especially the tunas!   When they attack that splashing surface lure all you see is white water.
The most exciting type of fishing there is!
Cornelis

oc1

What a collection.  I've had pretty good luck with those Yo-Zuri's Daron.  They don't look like a traditional popper but they kick up a lot of water.  Don't like treble hooks though so I change them out to Owner siwash.  

I wish people selling plugs would sort them by weight.  If you have a particular casting rig in mind then the plugs to go with it need to fall within a fairly narrow weight range.  With poppers it's difficult to tell by looking.

I have a couple of Mark White top water ceramics but they make me nervous.  It's like John said, they sink.  They're great for trevally with spinning gear where you are going to start cranking like heck as soon as it hits the water.  But if you are prone to backlash or need to slow it down over obstructions you risk loosing a big chunk of change.  People talk about marking the area and going back with mask and snorkel to recover them.

-steve

Cor

Quote from: oc1 on December 08, 2017, 07:19:10 AM
What a collection.  I've had pretty good luck with those Yo-Zuri's Daron.  They don't look like a traditional popper but they kick up a lot of water.  Don't like treble hooks though so I change them out to Owner siwash. 

I wish people selling plugs would sort them by weight.  If you have a particular casting rig in mind then the plugs to go with it need to fall within a fairly narrow weight range.  .............

-steve

For Yellowtail trebles seem to work best, but for the tuna types a single or two singles hooks hold best.    We've always found hookup on tunas difficult, 1/3 stick to the hooks then still come off later.

I always remove the front trebles on any lure, because they catch the angler, beware! :o :o
Cornelis

CapeFish

nice assortment, if you are looking for more distance try find some needle nose plugs, they fly a mile.

handi2

Daron thats just about everything we use here. You got it covered.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

thorhammer

use a fifty lb fluoro leader, enough to get a couple wraps down on your spool, and you should avoid bluefish cutoff. then you will only need one popper and can send rest to me :)

I'm ALMOST as bad about buying poppers as reels...and I recco a tsunami 7'8" graphite if you csan find them...$55 and sling a mile with 20lb braid. i use from boat; you may want 9' or 10' from the dirt.

Shark Hunter

I have never used fluoro John.
I usually just use a 12" stainless leader.
That way if a small Blacktip or Sharp nose gets it. I got him too. ;)
I don't know how Blues act in other areas, but the blues in the panhandle chomp their mouths at you at it makes a popping sound.
I would not want a finger in there. :o

Life is Good!

thorhammer

hellz no....when they blitz finger in the surf in our dirty water, they will come right by you when wading...i wear shoes of some sort cause the little piggies are about the size and shape of a half bitten finger mullet....

I split an order of open eye 7/0 Siwash hooks with Randy earlier this year; I'm sending you some.

Shark Hunter

I appreciate that Brother John. ;)
I have six months of waiting, but I will be loaded for bear.
Life is Good!