What size reel seat for a Penn Senator 12/0 custom rod?

Started by JnM Fishing, December 11, 2017, 07:50:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JnM Fishing

Hello I am building a custom rod on a 6ft. Gatorglass Unlimited class blank, However i am unsure what size reel seat will accept the foot of the 12/0 as it is much larger than a standard 6/0 that i am used to fishing.. Any ideas?

Thanks,
JnM

Cor

I've never had issues with reels not fitting a reel seat, but I guess it's possible.
In my case the reel seat is usually determined by the diameter of the but of the rod as the class reels we use here are mostly similar.
Cornelis

droppedit

1st question I have is are you putting this on a unibutt or putting a gimbal, grip and seat on it. A unibutt that size will have no problem holding that reel. same as a slip on seat. They do make different brands of slip-ons but you might want to do yourself a favor and spend the extra on a quality seat. Just make sure when gluing it on you scruff up the blank and the same with the inside of the seat. IMO that is the most important part of rod building. If not done right you will get a failure and that is always when you have something good on the end of the line. These would be the slip-ons I'd use if making that rod.

http://www.anglersworkshop.com/s.nl/it.A/id.198813/.f

Hope this helps,

Dave

Some days the supply of available curse words is insufficient to meet my demands.

http://www.turnerscustomrods.com

JnM Fishing

Quote from: droppedit on December 11, 2017, 12:28:10 PM
1st question I have is are you putting this on a unibutt or putting a gimbal, grip and seat on it. A unibutt that size will have no problem holding that reel. same as a slip on seat. They do make different brands of slip-ons but you might want to do yourself a favor and spend the extra on a quality seat. Just make sure when gluing it on you scruff up the blank and the same with the inside of the seat. IMO that is the most important part of rod building. If not done right you will get a failure and that is always when you have something good on the end of the line. These would be the slip-ons I'd use if making that rod.

http://www.anglersworkshop.com/s.nl/it.A/id.198813/.f

Hope this helps,

Dave

Im going with a slip on reel seat. Thanks for the link! i was looking at a size 26 on mudhole but was unsure if it would fit... This website has the length in inches. I will try the #4 size.

Swami805

Check out ALPS center lock reel seats. Pacbay also makes a good one, threads are a little tighter and it's grooved inside to hold the epoxy better. use a slow curing epoxy too, 5 ton, or PC7 which is more like paste. There's going to be a lot of torque from a 12/0
Do what you can with that you have where you are

sdlehr

How many size reel seats are there? I thought just two, fresh- and salt-water (not the internal diameters, the size of the seat that fits the tongue on the reel foot). Is there more than one standard size reel seat for salt-water rods?
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

Swami805

Yes the groove for the tongues can be smaller on smaller seats.

Army_of_One

Quote from: Swami805 on December 11, 2017, 02:08:06 PM
Yes the groove for the tongues can be smaller on smaller seats.
This.  I have 4/0 poles that my 6/0/9/0 won't seat on.
Another day in Paradise!

sdlehr

Doh! Hence the reason we sometimes see reel seats filed... I hadn't thought of that!
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

Cor

Quote from: sdlehr on December 11, 2017, 02:13:28 PM
Doh! Hence the reason we sometimes see reel seats filed... I hadn't thought of that!
Seems like I must also bow to the more experienced. :-[ :-[
Cornelis

thorhammer

26 or 28 MM. Recco full aluminum though. DO NOT use the graphite hood seats on something that large. ive had to replace cracking in the 24 MM 4/0 size....

Army_of_One

Quote from: thorhammer on December 11, 2017, 04:27:14 PM
26 or 28 MM. Recco full aluminum though. DO NOT use the graphite hood seats on something that large. ive had to replace cracking in the 24 MM 4/0 size....
Some of you guys are invaluable. I think that means priceless.  ;D
Another day in Paradise!

Swami805

Yes all aluminum for sure. I've always thought the aftco seats were overrated for the price. The treads are big and kind of sloppy. Also smooth on the inside so you need to run a file inside for the epoxy to get a bite. Check out the Alps seats. Best on the market imho.

JnM Fishing

which ALPS reel seat would fit a 12/0 senator? it has a very large foot.

Swami805

I couldn't tell you but check the website. I have the luxury of a well stocked shop just a few hours from me so I can dry fit components while I'm there and check to see how the reel will fit. Hard to do on the internet. I've used anglers workshop online. Very nice on the phone. Give them a call with the dimensions you need someone there should be able to help. Never had much luck with mudhole but that just me. Some people like them. Also bear in mind that a 12/0 isn't a hugely popular reel these days so not likely you find many who would know off the top of their head what will work