Penn Jigmaster 500 Repair - Is it worth it?

Started by JF86, December 11, 2017, 03:49:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JF86

Hi all.  Newbie here and could use some advice. 

I recently started doing offseason maintenance on my reels, one of which is a Jigmaster 500.  I've noticed the tip of the gear sleeve has become worn away and there is a lot of "play" in the handle now since it doesn't fit snugly.  Apparently this is a known problem and they made a stainless steel bridge w/ sleeve for just this issue. Before I knew this I purchased a new brass bridge w/ sleeve from my local tackle shop for $18.  Now I've learned (the hard way) that the old star drag wheel and handle screw don't fit on the newer sleeve since they have different thread sizes (coarse vs fine).  This means in addition to the $18 I already spent I will need to purchase a new star drag wheel and handle screw.  Is this really worth the time and money?  I'm getting very close to just throwing the reel away as I already have a newer jigmaster.  Also ordering parts online doesn't seem like it's financially feasible since with shipping and handling charges I end up paying a lot more than the parts cost.  Not criticizing the online dealers - I get that it costs them money to prepare and ship an order.  Just wondering if this is all worth it.  Opinions?

thorhammer

You are in the right place...unfortunately you didn't get to ask here first, or we would've told you to just order the sleeve and not whole bridge, and to check your star. possibly someone here has a star....

BUT NEVER, EVER, TOSS A PENN, MUCH LESS A JIGGY!!!! someone will take it off your hands if you don't want it.

wait, do you need the fine thread star? I might have one. the handle nut should fit either though

handi2

Just let me know what you need. It will fish again!!

Keith
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

MarkT

I have an original star as well from when I upgraded to a larger one.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

Gfish

Welcome JF86. The shop shoulda knowen to ask you 'bout fine vs coarse threads. IMO, it's worth it ta use a fine thread sleeve/star, this, along with a good spring(wavey) washer will give you improved drag range/adjustability. I've got a new brass #3-500S bridge plate n' brass #98-505 sleeve and your old handle nut As Thorhammer said should fit, but godda new onea those too, no drag wheel though(#10-505). Let us know what you need. The Jigmaster is a great reel!
Gfish
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!