Vintage Penn Quiz

Started by Maxed Out, December 11, 2017, 07:09:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maxed Out

How many of these old clunker Penns can you identify from just this photo ??

........this is good training for a lot of folks getting into the oldies but goodies. Learn to recognize what you see because sometimes sellers dont know and/or dont care  ;)   ;)

The 2nd part of the equation would be to try to pinpoint the year for each reel. Sometimes that is possible with one look and sometimes not. If I cant pinpoint a year, I will try and pinpoint which era it belongs to.
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

Tightlines667

Those reels are too pretty to be early models. 

I'll take the lot of your hands, so you can focus your search.

Actually, there are some interesting Penn's in that grouping.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Gfish

Top-most reel(butterscotch knob,#5)a Longbeach 60 ? ,and another down & to the left with the same counter-weight(vertically long) as the 60(?), the knob looks rootbeer,#4) a 65?.
Good post idea.
Gfish
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Tightlines667

The bottom left, top center, and 2nd from the bottom right are all prewar reels.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

sdlehr

Fun idea! I've made my guesses and saved them. Click on the photo to enlarge it. Here's an easier way to know which is which. Guess away!
Thanks, Ted.

Sid
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

Maxed Out

go for it Sid  ;D

sdlehr

I'm going to post my answers before I lose them and have to start over.

Starting on the bottom left corner (#1) we have prewar Senator with a front rod brace and if I get the size on this one wrong I'm probably going to be wrong multiple times in the next few sentences. It's got to be a 9/0.

Above the Senator is (#2) a reel with four bars and 4 trim rings. It's got to be a #259 Live Bait Caster.

Above that (#3) is a small Senator from the 50's, and it's bigger than the one diagonally down to the right, so it has to be a 112 (or a LB D65). Edit: I had previously called this a 113 but had meant 112, the 113 has 5 posts.

Moving to the right (#4)  is a two-trim ring reel with 4 bars, it's a prewar LB, and it looks wider than the one all the way on the top, so I'm calling it a 65.

That makes the reel all the way on the top (#5) a LB60, also prewar.

Moving to the right (#6) is a small Senator with a power handle, looks like 112 size, with a 3-piece drilled spool. I don't collect from this era, but 60's-70's seems in the ballpark.

Below and to the right (#7) is a 50's Sailfisher, it looks like it has one bar on the top and a narrow arbor on the spool. It's also not the same as the obvious 149 bottom center, so I'm happy with Sailfisher. Look at the thickness of the plates and compare the two.

Diagonally down to the left (#8)  is another small Senator the same size as I previously called the 112.

Diagonally down to the right (#9) is another Senator 9/0, but this one has bearings, aluminum spool and a power handle, putting it later than anything I collect, I'm going to guess 60's-70's.

That leaves the three in the middle. The one on the bottom (#10) with the red handle and fancy arbor has one trim ring on each side and is obviously a 149.

Diagonally up to the left (#11) is the previously compared 111 with a counterweight that appears to have no markings, I think it's pre-war

Diagonally up to the right (#12) is another Senator with a spool that is so shiny it is hard to tell if it is chromed cast brass or a 3-piece, but I'm going with the latter. It looks like a 50's Senator 112.

It would appear the small Senators are over-represented, maybe some are LB Deluxe?

No take-apart reels? How'd I do?
Sid Lehr

Maxed Out

You got some right Sid, but only 3 pre war reels and rest are 1950 and up....only 1 3/0, and no 259

sdlehr

Quote from: Maxed Out on December 12, 2017, 02:26:08 AM
You got some right Sid, but only 3 pre war reels and rest are 1950 and up....only 1 3/0, and no 259
It's not fair if you've got Frankenreels in the mix.... ;)
Sid Lehr

sdlehr

I got some wrong, no one else wants to play?
Sid Lehr

Legal Bill

Sid, i'm a little embarrassed to play as I thought I saw a couple of jigmasters/surf masters, but you didn't guess any.

Gfish

Thought Sid was right on #2... Without one Senator for size reference, very hard to tell...
Gfish
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Maxed Out

Quote from: Gfish on December 13, 2017, 09:14:25 PM
Thought Sid was right on #2... Without one Senator for size reference, very hard to tell...
Gfish

Sid was close, but a 259 is wider than #2 reel.

#2 is a 1.5/0 senator (aka 1/0 with 99 spool, 65 seat and posts)

somewhere in the pile are a couple 2.5/0 senators(in between a 2/0 and 3/0 size)

Ted

sdlehr

Quote from: Legal Bill on December 13, 2017, 04:44:17 PM
Sid, i'm a little embarrassed to play as I thought I saw a couple of jigmasters/surf masters, but you didn't guess any.
Yeah, I didn't see (and still don't see) any takeapart reels in the mix.
Sid Lehr

Gfish

Quote from: sdlehr on December 12, 2017, 12:42:03 PM
Quote from: Maxed Out on December 12, 2017, 02:26:08 AM
It's not fair if you've got Frankenreels in the mix.... ;)

Yeah!
Gfish