Team Daiwa Advantage 4000A

Started by Scattergun2570, December 12, 2017, 06:15:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scattergun2570

So, I decided to tear down my spinner. I am very inexperienced..I took apart my Procyon and had to be bailed out by John Tuttle "Thanks Again John"  So here I am trying again. Now I am the type that never has reels serviced,,so this one has never been serviced. I have it for quite some time,over ten years easily,and I fished it plenty in the surf. Its been rumbly sounding for the last 4-5 yrs,so I figured what the hell. Anyway,when I got the rotor off, I grabbed the main shaft and noticed what in my mind is too much play. Once I had it broken down completely,I degreased the main and pinion gear, and then closely inspected.. I see what appears to me as a lot of wear on the main gear,some on pinion as well,but not as much as main. I am guessing that`s where the main shaft play is coming from,as well as the noise ..gears just not meshing well any longer. What really amazed me is it shows no signs of salt water intrusion.. I am hoping the picture shows the wear on the teeth,so you can give me your opinion. So my question is,if Daiwa still has main and pinion gears available for this reel,would changing them out get this reel back running well again?  THANKS

[/URL

http://i1005.photobucket.com/albums/af172/lamiglas1266ss/IMG_4020_zps1fx3he5c.png

Scattergun2570

Quote from: Scattergun2570 on December 12, 2017, 06:15:22 AM
So, I decided to tear down my spinner. I am very inexperienced..I took apart my Procyon and had to be bailed out by John Tuttle "Thanks Again John"  So here I am trying again. Now I am the type that never has reels serviced,,so this one has never been serviced. I have it for quite some time,over ten years easily,and I fished it plenty in the surf. Its been rumbly sounding for the last 4-5 yrs,so I figured what the hell. Anyway,when I got the rotor off, I grabbed the main shaft and noticed what in my mind is too much play. Once I had it broken down completely,I degreased the main and pinion gear, and then closely inspected.. I see what appears to me as a lot of wear on the main gear,some on pinion as well,but not as much as main. I am guessing that`s where the main shaft play is coming from,as well as the noise ..gears just not meshing well any longer. What really amazed me is it shows no signs of salt water intrusion.. I am hoping the picture shows the wear on the teeth,so you can give me your opinion. So my question is,if Daiwa still has main and pinion gears available for this reel,would changing them out get this reel back running well again?  THANKS

Is the link to the photo working?

[/URL

http://i1005.photobucket.com/albums/af172/lamiglas1266ss/IMG_4020_zps1fx3he5c.png

xjchad

I can't get the picture to work, but my guess is that if you can see wear on the gears, a new set couldn't hurt.
Before you buy new ones though, you might want to try adjusting the engagement of the gears by playing with the shims between the main gear the bearing.  Might be able to shim it closer to the pinion to reduce the free play.  Worked on a couple of Shimanos for me.
Husband, Father, Fisherman

Scattergun2570

Quote from: xjchad on December 13, 2017, 12:39:20 AM
I can't get the picture to work, but my guess is that if you can see wear on the gears, a new set couldn't hurt.
Before you buy new ones though, you might want to try adjusting the engagement of the gears by playing with the shims between the main gear the bearing.  Might be able to shim it closer to the pinion to reduce the free play.  Worked on a couple of Shimanos for

there weren't any shims there.

Scattergun2570

Before you buy new ones though, you might want to try adjusting the engagement of the gears by playing with the shims between the main gear the bearing.  Might be able to shim it closer to the pinion to reduce the free play.  Worked on a couple of Shimanos for me.

Can you tell me how to embed a photo from photobucket to the site?

Scattergun2570

Before you buy new ones though, you might want to try adjusting the engagement of the gears by playing with the shims between the main gear the bearing.  Might be able to shim it closer to the pinion to reduce the free play.  Worked on a couple of Shimanos for me

xjchad

Photobucket doesn't work anymore. Try imgur or postimage.org
Husband, Father, Fisherman

Shark Hunter

Unless you replace the gears, the only other option is to try shimming the main shaft to get the slop out.
You say they have been grinding for 5 years?
It could be bearings as well.
http://www.daiwa.com/us/service/manuals/image/spinning/TDA3500-4000.pdf
Life is Good!

handi2

After that many years I would get gears and bearings. I couldn't get a picture to load either.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Swami805

If you have an iPhone take a picture with that and go to additional options at the bottom of the post. Then photo libary on the phone. Load the picture and post. Only way I know how to do it and seems to work ok
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Scattergun2570

Quote from: handi2 on December 13, 2017, 06:07:16 PM
After that many years I would get gears and bearings. I couldn't get a picture to load either.

Gears I am ordering today,,the bearings are moving well,no noise at all.

handi2

With spinning reels the bearings can feel fine but they aren't. Any spec of rust in these bearings will show up when your using the reel. Just like a Baitcaster reel.

I change hundreds of line roller bearings when a customer says it's rough when a fish is on. That and pinion bearings. The pinion bearings spin much faster than the others. Water intrudes that area too.

Daiwa will use a lot of 1/2 size bearings. What I mean is 8x13x3.5 as an example.

Gulf Breeze, FL

Scattergun2570

Quote from: handi2 on December 13, 2017, 10:29:56 PM
With spinning reels the bearings can feel fine but they aren't. Any spec of rust in these bearings will show up when your using the reel. Just like a Baitcaster reel.

I change hundreds of line roller bearings when a customer says it's rough when a fish is on. That and pinion bearings. The pinion bearings spin much faster than the others. Water intrudes that area too.

Daiwa will use a lot of 1/2 size bearings. What I mean is 8x13x3.5 as an example.

Can I open the bearings,and clean them out? Regrease?

handi2

Yes they can be serviced. I believe the bearings in that reel have shields and locks. Not pressed in like Daiwa uses a lot.
Gulf Breeze, FL

Scattergun2570

Quote from: handi2 on December 14, 2017, 12:46:52 AM
Yes they can be serviced. I believe the bearings in that reel have shields and locks. Not pressed in like Daiwa uses a lot.

Is there a tutorial on the site on how to?