Lock up Penn 80VSW

Started by Machalek, June 13, 2011, 06:11:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Machalek

Hello Everyone!

Just serviced my Penn 80VSW, fish all day Sunday reeling in YF, then the last strike of the day a big one,  a Marlin, a good run then snapped, checked what happend and found the reel locked up.

Have not opened the reel yet, so wondering how can this happen?

Thanks, JD   

Cowbass

I'd have to say either something came apart and jammed the spool or a spool bearing went bad? Let us know what you find inside!!!
SHUT UP AND FISH!!!

Dave RI

Hard to tell what went wrong at this point without more details , could possibly be maybe the shaft siezed in the side cover , i would recomend tearing it apart and then look at the  damage from there .
  Good Luck

alantani

sounds like the spool cap backed out enough to lock up the entire spool.  newer reels have a locking pin. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

kamuwela

open the left side plate and pull the spool. ive seen drag plate screw's back out also clicker plate's. thats the problem with grease, screw's back out from the boats vibration's. i prefer grease over  locktite tho. most reel's come from the factory with locktite on the stand, clicker and drag plate screws. thats why screws cant come out after time from corrosion and locktite. after you pull the spool you can see the inside of the right plate.

Machalek

It was the frame that locked up the spool.  Everything inside was alright.  When I loosened the brace clamps the spool came free.  ;-).  I guess the Marlin's strike, run twisted the frame then locking up the spool, ;-(.  Maybe if the drag was a little less this would not happen?  Any ideas?  Thanks, JD                                                                             

kamuwela

what is your drag setting? this is a first for me. here in hawaii we run 80's 130's 12/0 and 14/0 and catch alot of large fish. normal drag range is 20- 25 lbs.

Machalek

Aloha Kamuwela!

Drag setting around 25 lbs.  Yea, first for me as well.  I was talking another friend and we both charged it to experience.  The reel is working fine now, had several YF over the weekend and no problems.  Will post on the next Marlin Strike!  
JD

Machalek

Back to business!  She was sweet, 125 LBS ++, and no problems with the reel! 

JD

kamuwela

hey jd congrats on the marlin and ahi. i never say never but im having a hard tme grasping how the frame twisted so far that it locked up the spool. are you talking about the threaded turnbuckle clamps? dont get me wrong i am not doubting you. my thinking the reel seat is the most sturdy point and then the turnbuckle clamps. the frame is a one piece machined frame you would thinkb the frame would crack. i need bryan he's an engineer lol. glad its back to normal tight lines and good luck.
                                                                     aloha
                                                                     kamu

Bryan Young

Sorry Kamu, wrong kind of engineer.  I should have studied mechanical though.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D