PENN INTERNATIONAL 20 DRAG AND BELLVILLE WASHER QUESTIONS

Started by Dominick, July 04, 2011, 05:05:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dominick

Hi all you reel nuts: 
     I bought a Penn International 20 on Ebay. The description was, "very clean reel does not look like it was ever used."  Much to my delight this description was spot on.  The reel looks brand new without scratches, and operates smoothly.  I took the reel apart to do a little PM ala alan. 
     There are 2 pairs of bellevilles in this reel.  The bellevilles were set ()l() with a washer in the middle. The straight washer in between looks like a very thin brass washer or shim.  My question is, does this set-up give the least amount of drag pressure for this reel size?  How should I reposition the bellevilles to get maximum drag out of this sweet reel?  Should I just dump the brass washer and replace it with a steel washer?  When I say maximum drag I am taking into consideration the reel's limitations. 
     Also the drag is (according to Scott's) a 4th generation drag.  The drag is textured like HT 100s but was dry.  Before taking the reel apart I pulled on the drag to see if the pull was smooth and it was.  Interestingly, after taking the reel apart, I pressed the drag against the drag plate and turned it to see if there would be any resistance.  There was no resistance at all.  It was like rubbing a cotton towel on the waxed hood of a car.  The question is, should I grease this drag or is it of a type that should not be greased.  Thanks.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

alantani

for now, i would grease the drag and leave the bellevilles as is, then check the drag and see how much you have. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!