Penn 30 VSW

Started by widgeon, June 29, 2011, 01:49:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

widgeon

Hey Alan, Thanks for putting this website together and your invaluable intell.  I just bought an older Penn 30 VSW at a very fair price (pic below), knowing the preset knob is locked up, and will not turn at all in freespool, other than a little play in the current position.  Otherwise, the drag, shifter, clicker, and drag pressure function flawlessly.  Any ideas on the preset knob being frozen and/or fix? 

Thanks for your insight!
Kevin

Bryan Young

It's quite possible that the screw piston (I'm not sure what it's called 'cause I didn't pull up the schematics) may be frozen.  You need to remove the handle, then the plate that the preset knob is mounted to.  When you remove that, you will see that the know is like a thumb flat blade screw driver.  If that turns then it's the pistion that sits below it.  you can try inserting a flat blade screw driver and see if it turns easily.  If not, then you have to go into the reel.  You can try soaking the pision assembly in cleanging solvents and work it loose or purchase a new pistion assembly.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!