International 6 jerky drag

Started by 1badf350, December 14, 2017, 05:35:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1badf350

I picked up one of these little guys lately. Its in great shape. The only issue is that the drag doesn't seem smooth. its kinda jerky or jumpy. Does that make sense? I'm scared to death to take it apart. Halp!
-Chris

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
John Wayne as J.B. Books in "The Shootist"

54bullseye

It most likley has a cork drag washer and is crapped up. There not that bad to take apart it's just getting them back together that's tuff !!   
John Taylor

alantani

it's similar to the penn 30 international, so that tutorial should get you through.  you likely have the old style composite drag washer.  i don't see a replacement drag washer for this reel.  it is possible that a carbon fiber drag washer can be glued to the pressure plate, but it's something i'd have to look at.  it's been years since i've looked at one of these, but i seem to remember something being weird about this reel, like it had no freespool or something like that.  

here is the schematic.  https://www.mysticparts.com/Assets/images/pennparts/schematics/6.pdf

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackles old online store over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

coastal_dan

Very easy reel to tear down, especially if it (as you say) in good condition.  You may need to improvise with the drag disk though if the cork has broken-down.  You could always spend a little money and send it over to Cal Sheets for a rebuild/blueprint.
Dan from Philadelphia...

Where Land Ends Life Begins...

Wolli

the drag washer ist no cork. Looks like the washers in Daiwa Sealine 900

After some hours testing cf washers in different thickness and adjusting with shims on the main shaft i gave up to obtain satisfactory freespool. But for trolling its ok, for bottom fishing some lead required. Optained max drag of 9.5kg which is acceptable for the small reel.

Wolli
love jigging    www.jupiter-sunrise-lodge.com/de/
Authorized Jigging Master Service Partner (in Germany)

Tightlines667

What a great little reel.  I am a bit surprised you were able to get that much drag outta the reel w/o loosing freespool, but it sounds like you are happy with the results.  You will know if you have too much drag if you feel thst roughness of the pinion getting damaged when cranking under pressure.  Shimming, and adjusting the Bellevilles and spacing will only give you soon much.  Bear in mind these reels were designed to fish straight 6 to 12lb mono, with 6lbs max at full, so pushing it to 4Xs that may exceed design specs.  Of course it is possible.  Great little reels though.

John
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Vintage Offshore Tackle

I have been through nine or ten 6s and I haven't found one yet that would free spool cleanly, even with the lightest drag.  Does anyone know anyone who could work some magic on a couple that I have now?

Thanks,

Randy

mikeysm

Randy do you want me to give it a shot. I might be able to cure the problem.

Mike

Wolli

Hi Jon, was not planned to increase the drag, thats the result of the CF washer. The main problem (in this reel) is that the Drag Washer Brake LN (#5) touches in FREE position the inside of the Drag Cover (#156)
That needs to be adjusted.....

A photo of the grinding marks in the Drag Cover will follow tomorrow.  Its too late in Germany to open the reel again.

Today i had a heavy 5kg reel for service and works fine again ;D

@Randy
check if your reel(s) have also grinding marks in the Drag Cover.

Tightlines667

Quote from: Wolli on March 09, 2018, 11:03:49 PM
Hi Jon, was not planned to increase the drag, thats the result of the CF washer. The main problem (in this reel) is that the Drag Washer Brake LN (#5) touches in FREE position the inside of the Drag Cover (#156)
That needs to be adjusted.....

A photo of the grinding marks in the Drag Cover will follow tomorrow.  Its too late in Germany to open the reel again.

Today i had a heavy 5kg reel for service and works fine again ;D

@Randy

That's what I suspected.  I think a shim or 2 under the tailplate bearing or on the outside of the drag plate, or running the reel w/o a heat shield (bearing cover) might help here (if there is enough space to shim, and still maintain adequate drag to disc clearance.  A bearing sleeve which help maintains slight, but steady pressure on each on the putter races of the spool bearings might help as well.  However, there just may not be enough space to work with on these small reels though.

I am picking up my 12H parts that I dropped off at the Cerakoter 11weeks ago today, and may play around with this reel this weekend a bit.  Hopefully it goes back together ok.

http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=24680.0

Most Internationals don't have particularly good freespool or start up inertia is too high, due to too many different/heavy components on the spool, and parts making contact along the spool shaft.  These smaller reels should have the capacity to do a bit better then their larger cousins in this regard though.

John
Hope springs eternal

Vintage Offshore Tackle

Quote from: Wolli

@Randy

/quote]

Thank you for the suggestion Wolli, but I am sorry to say that I am afraid to take it apart because I many not be able to get it back together.  I am all thumbs!

Thanks again,

Randy

Wolli

@Randy,

its no secret, assemble in reversed direction ;D

Bad weather today and again busy with the reel
One problem solved, the other must be checked by a mechanic.
S. attachment

Wolli

Tightlines667

Quote from: Wolli on March 12, 2018, 02:03:36 AM
@Randy,

its no secret, assemble in reversed direction ;D

Bad weather today and again busy with the reel
One problem solved, the other must be checked by a mechanic.
S. attachment

Wolli

Did you try to shim on top of (the outside) of the outter drag plate?  Or increase your Belleville stack height, either by using thicker washers arranged in a ()() config, or adding a shim?  You shouod be able to shim the plate so it doesn't contact the cooling shield when in freespool. 

John
Hope springs eternal

mikeysm

I looked at the print and the washers add to the problem. They look like the drag is loaded all the time. But until I see one apart I won't know for sure. Does anyone know if the bearings are metric. If so they can be converted to angular contact bearings. I don't think the problem can be completely fixed just made better.

Mike

Tightlines667

Quote from: mikeysm on March 12, 2018, 07:07:40 PM
I looked at the print and the washers add to the problem. They look like the drag is loaded all the time. But until I see one apart I won't know for sure. Does anyone know if the bearings are metric. If so they can be converted to angular contact bearings. I don't think the problem can be completely fixed just made better.

Mike

If you add spacing to one side, you need to remove it from another.  I have corrected this issue on a number of internationals over the years through shimming, and Belleville spacing.  However, if the plate is warped it will need to be replaced.

These reels have relatively loose tolerances, which gives you some leeway with adjusting spacing for worn parts.  If one or more bearings are slightly thicker then stock, or not properly seated it can cause spacing issues as well.  Marring on any of the parts that move along the spool shaft can also be problematic.  You can certainly run the reel w/o the cooling shield too, but you will have to be vigalent with servicing since you increase your risk if salt/debris intrusion into the drag parts.

I wouldn't give up on it just yet.

John
Hope springs eternal