ARB VS. Dogs

Started by r8rs4lf, November 25, 2017, 11:45:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MarkT

The HXJ Raptor is rated at 40# of drag at strike so it has plenty of drag for fishing 80# but is shy on capacity for fishing bait. The JX Raptor is rated at 28# at strike and I use it with a 50# top shot.  The HXJ and JX are basically the same capacity with the HXJ being narrower/taller.  I'd use the HXJ for yoyo and bombs and the JX for more general purposes.
My go to 80# reel is a Mak 16. but if I were going out for big BFT I'd consider bumping up my HX Raptor from 60# to 80#.  It has 500yds of 80# spectra as backing. I think it'd do 80# fine on a BFT, they aren't as tough as YFT.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

SoCalAngler

When I sold Avet reels, and that was years before the Raptors. I sold the standard HX reels as 50 lb topshot reels maybe 60 in a pinch. Remember the H in the HX name was said to stand for Hoo or wahoo when those reels first came out so they were never designed for heavy drag as it is not really needed for those fish.

I still have very good relationships with 4 different tackle shops and talk shop, applications, rigging and check out new gear at their locations. Oh yes and buy stuff from them also. I seems many are using the Raptor HXW's as 80-100 lb test topshot reels with great success. It makes a lot of sense to purchase one for these line tests for use as a light big tuna rig over bigger heavier 30 two speed reels IMO.

As far as the Valiant 800's are concerned I'm in the group to wait and see how they stand up before suggesting anyone purchase one but I'm that way with any brand new product that comes to market, not just fishing gear.

I also like to have dogs in my reels for anything over 30 lb test even if their are there as just backups to the ARB. Heck, my 30 lb go to reel has double dogs to backup its ARB. Will the dogs ever be needed to fish 10 lbs of drag? I don't know but I do like the piece of mind of having them in there.

Rivverrat

Guys this is coming from one who doesnt have access to the fish you all do. After holding an HX Raptor & then hearing later that some were using them for 100 lb. line my original thought was these were people with deep pockets who fished them as throw aways. 
Ive asked about them being used at this level here before. However at this time I think the verdict is in that they do fine for 80 lb. line. Thats not to say they do this on the same level as Penn 12 - 16 VSX or comparable Makaira. Dont see a reel with less mass doing so. Took me a bit of time to finally grasp this.

I've yet to meet or talk with any one who has used an HX Raptor fro 100 lb. line on a weekly bases as their go to reel. But I've spoke with a few that do use this reel at that level & have been happy.... Jeff

MarkT

I certainly wouldn't use it as my go to 100# reel.  I have a Mak 20 SEa for that!   If you have an HX Raptor and nothing bigger and you're out for 100# fish could you use it for 100#? Sure.  It's my go to reel for 60#.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

Rivverrat

Quote from: MarkT on November 29, 2017, 10:55:48 PM
I certainly wouldn't use it as my go to 100# reel.  I have a Mak 20 SEa for that!   If you have an HX Raptor and nothing bigger and you're out for 100# fish could you use it for 100#? Sure.  It's my go to reel for 60#.

Yup, you were very clear with your prior post. I think it would make a great real for 80# line reel for my river fishing. My fish dont pull like your all's tuna do.... Jeff