Waxing spool with chapstick?

Started by Noahg727, December 16, 2017, 12:43:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

handi2

I use Surf Wax applied on the spool while it's in the line winder. The surf wax bar puts on a thick coating. It smells good too. Sex Wax is the best....
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

ez2cdave

Quote from: oc1 on December 17, 2017, 08:19:58 PM
I'm not a chemist but the chemical compatibility charts for nylon (mono) and polyethylene (spectra/dyneema) say they are not affected by gasoline and grease.

Dave, someone here once mentioned putting grease on the lowest layers of line.  Can't remember or find it again but it might have been Alex.
-steve

Steve,

I'll try to find the post. If anone else finds it, please post a link to it.

Tight Lines !

Swami805

The best part of this is the title,when I first read it I thought it said Chopstick. That would be fun to watch.
Do what you can with that you have where you are

thorhammer

Dang it now you've got me thinking...I formulated some board wax for a buddy who was sponsored in two blends, warm weather and cold, and was head of Quality  and Engineering for Burt's Bees years back. Now i think i can  make a 'spool stick' for us without too much trouble...

handi2

A push stick with surf wax would be cool.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Noahg727

Thorhammer I think that sounds like a plan..I'll pay you for one! Lol

thorhammer

I will call my component suppliers tomorrow.

Shark Hunter

Hammer's Honey Spool Protectant. ;D
Use it on your reel and your jibs. ;)
Life is Good!

steelfish

I dont know if you are talking about my post on this same thread (below), i just do what the Jefe does on his reels, and it have worked pretty good to me on mono line or spectra line

Quote from: oc1 on December 17, 2017, 08:19:58 PM
Dave, someone here once mentioned putting grease on the lowest layers of line.  Can't remember or find it again but it might have been Alex.
-steve

Quote from: steelfish on December 16, 2017, 02:20:43 AM

I always use some flex wrap over the spool and then put a light coat of yamaha grease, and then I spool the line on it, the 1st two rounds of line on the spool will be impregnated with grease and will repel the saltwater.

The Baja Guy

oc1

That was it Alex.  Thank you.  Also, thank you for the new trip report.  Really good catches.
-steve

sdlehr

Hadn't heard of "sex wax". The post was reported to the moderators as maybe needing some editing. Under the circumstances, I'm not changing anything. https://www.sexwax.com/
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Shark Hunter

Nothing wrong here. It is an actual product for surf boards.
https://www.sexwax.com/
Life is Good!

Keta

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Swami805

Made by Mr. Zog, It's been around forever. It's like the Kleenx of surfboard wax.
Do what you can with that you have where you are