Baitcast reels: magnetic or centrifugal brakes

Started by Three se7ens, December 16, 2017, 03:47:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Three se7ens

What is the practical difference between the two?  Is one better than the other, or just better suited for certain tasks?  Which is easier to learn on?

MarkT

Mag is easier. You can easily dial it in. You have to open up the reel to adjust the centrifugal brakes.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

wfjord

I regularly use both magged and non-magged (centrifugal) baitcasters and I like both systems equally.  And I've disliked both. It depends more on the individual reel than the braking system --how I have it set up and adjusted and how it responds and feels... and my thumb, of course. But that's purely in regards to the reels I have and the fishing I do.  A nice casting rod is helpful, too. 

oc1

Now there are small baitcasting reels with both.  Depending on the rod and lure weight you roughly dial it in with the centrifugal brake tabs by removing the tail plate and then fine tune it with magnets controlled by a knob on the outside.
-steve

Rivverrat

The mag set ups I've seen are much less problematic than most centrifugal set ups. The mag set up can be tossed with no thumb when set right & a proper cast.  Only time I use either is when trying to get a long cast with heavy bait. With heavy weight & bait a long cast in my situation is well under 50 yards.... Jeff

Tiddlerbasher

I prefer mag control. It is much easier to dial it in. I also find mag brakes are more dependable. Friction breaking systems can get wet or get lube on them.

mo65

Quote from: oc1 on December 16, 2017, 07:59:11 AM
Now there are small baitcasting reels with both.

The only completely backlash free reel I own is a Lew's that has both centrifugal and magnetic brakes. It works so good it's ridiculous.

~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

johndtuttle

Fundamentally Magnetic Brakes and Centrifugal Brakes are for different lures.

Mag brakes are consistent slowing, same amount of slowing no matter how fast the spool is turning. They are ideal for heavier lures as they  let the spool start up a little slower then is less likely to overrun at the end.

Cent brakes are for very light lures (ie 1/2 oz or less) as they slow the reel down from spinning very fast, but have no effect when the spool is turning slow. This allows you to throw a light lure harder but not lose control at the beginning, then you use your thumb at the end to get more distance.

You gotta pick the tool for your job and if casting very light stuff is your need, then cent brakes are superior. Conversely, if you are hucking iron etc then mag brakes are much better.

regards

Three se7ens

Sounds like mag is the way to go for me.  I mainly use spinning reels, especially for light stuff.  Im just interested in adding a baitcaster to the collection for heavier lures, and maybe bait for the few times I dont use artificials. 

Im looking at the Okuma cerros.  Not looking to spend the money on a komodo or daiwa lexa at this point, and I dont need the extra capacity either.  Im open to other suggestions though, in the $100 price range.

wfjord

I do prefer using my little centrifugal brake reels for the lighter stuff (before resorting to a spinning reel) --except for an old 5500C I still use to get some heavier plugs out further. Other wise I'd have to say I mostly use mag baitcasters (freshwater LM, SM & stripers).

Tiddlerbasher

Mag brakes are more effective when the spool is spinning quickly. They have little effect when spinning slowly. However they have the advantage that the braking force can be changed in flight. Beach/surf casting long range. Most tornament casters use mag brakes.

oc1

Quote from: johndtuttle on December 16, 2017, 08:18:52 PM
Mag brakes are consistent slowing, same amount of slowing no matter how fast the spool is turning.

Not true John.  Tiddler has it correct.
-steve

johndtuttle

Quote from: oc1 on December 17, 2017, 07:27:16 AM
Mag brakes are consistent slowing, same amount of slowing no matter how fast the spool is turning.

-steve

Ok, I am willing to learn. Please esplain me how the strength of the magnetic field increases or decreases?

:)

Cor

Quote from: oc1 on December 17, 2017, 07:27:16 AM

-steve
Agreed.
Cornelis

Tiddlerbasher

For a given position of the magnet, relative to the spool, the magnetic force does not change. But the faster the spool spins the stonger the eddy currents become (Lenz's Law).
The stronger the eddy currents the more opposing force (braking) is generated to slow the spool. A simple demo can be done with a close fitting neodymium magnet in a copper tube. Hold the tube vertically and drop the magnet in. It's passage will be slowed compared to dropping it in free air. If you try and push it through more quickly (or use a bigger/stronger magnet) more resistance is generated.