winter reds

Started by Three se7ens, December 17, 2017, 12:04:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Three se7ens

Quote from: STRIPER LOU on November 18, 2018, 06:17:29 PM
Very nice fish on artificials Adam! Are they good eating??

..........Lou

They are good eating, but I dont usually keep them. We have a slot limit where you can only keep ones between 14 and 23 inches anyways.  I will sometimes keep slot reds and trout, but lately I have plenty in the freezer, so Ive been letting most go unless they were hooked badly.  My favorites to eat are flounder and sheepshead.  And as Daron noted, they are serious fighters(just look at the shoulders), and I really like them for the sport and want to help maintain a healthy population here.  A couple of the guys I fish with regularly tag any redfish over 23", and a few have been caught again and reported. 

I fish pretty much exclusively with artificials now.  I like the challenge, and appreciate the skill that goes with being able to reliably catch fish on artificials.  Youre not just waiting for them to come by, you have be there at the right time, put the lure in the right spot, and then make it work well enough to make the fish want to eat it.  Its made me rethink a lot of what I thought I knew about fishing, and have had many fishless days in the process.  Ive also had to downsize my gear a lot to be able to get good casting distance with light lures.  Much of what I use weighs between 1/4 and 3/8 oz. 

Reel 224

I'm with you Adam with the artificial bates, sometimes they out fish the live bate..........................Joe
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

gstours

Thanks for sharing your pictures and fun with us.  That's what it's all about in life,  you did it all that morning 🤦‍♀️  Mornings are for fisherman 🐟.  I,m jealous sitting at home 🏡

foakes

Thanks for the great reports, Adam!

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

El Pescador

Delicious and tasty for sure!

Paul Prudhomme made a career with his legendary recipe - Blackened RedFish!!!!

https://www.chefpaul.com/site.php?pageID=300&view=128

Wayne
Never let the skinny guys make the sandwiches!!  NEVER!!!!

oc1

Because of Prudhomme's blackened redfish craze the demand for redfish went through the roof.  Commercial gillnetters started exploiting the near-shore and offshore congregations of adults.  It almost collapsed the population and was the impetus for the first redfish regulations.  

The new demand also sparked development of redfish farming technology.

Years later, Prudhomme apologized for the mess he had created and encouraged people to blacken other coarse fish species instead of redfish.  All fish (or your flip-flop slipper for that matter) come out tasting the same after applying the heavy seasoning and burning it.
-steve

Shark Hunter

Reds are still abundant in the gulf.
I've never heard of Prudhomme.
Life is Good!

Crow

Nice drum !!  Hopefully, in a couple weeks, I'll be tagging some of those on Dauphin Island !
There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

Swami805

I still use Prudhomme's blackening mix for tuna. It's some good eating right there. It was a craze for awhile, blackening just about everything.
Those redfish congregate in big schools to breed so it was easy to net them. Really a shame what they did. I guess they bounce back ok though
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Fishy247

Try that blackened redfish magic on some rockcod fillets sometime. It's pretty fantastic! Great on halibut also.

Mike

conchydong

I love blackened fish on occasion. I use the Badia blackened seafood  creole blend seasoning as a less expensive alternative to the Paul Prudhomme's version. Not much Redfish in S. Florida but it can make Kingfish taste great.
Nice fishing.

Scott

drumbum

The Prudhommes Magic seasonings are excellent.  We buy the 24oz size containers.

Meat
Seafood
Redfish
Pork and veal
Poultry
Fajita
And recently some Vegetable magic to try.

Not too fond of the Blackened steak magic,...but I need to try it again.

Three se7ens

Not a redfish, but one of my favorites to eat:  sheepshead.  Also known as convict fish, and one of the most notorious bait thieves ever

Gobi King

Quote from: Three se7ens on November 29, 2018, 01:17:57 AM
Not a redfish, but one of my favorites to eat:  sheepshead.  Also known as convict fish, and one of the most notorious bait thieves ever

Looks a bit like spade fish??
Shibs - aka The Gobi King
Fichigan

Crow

Quite a few of the "snow bird fishermen" in the campground have trouble telling the difference between a sheepshead and a puppy drum (small black drum)....they do look a lot alike, ....until you check their teeth !
There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !