winter reds

Started by Three se7ens, December 17, 2017, 12:04:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fishy247

Those sheepies are fantastic eating. A lot of fun to catch as well. Super strong bulldog fighters that'll wrap you around a piling in a hurry! That is, of course, if you manage to hook the boogers....lol

conchydong

Sheepshead are actually in the Porgie (Sea Bream) family, hence the good eats. Their diet also makes them taste even better. When I was younger, I used to clean some boat bottoms (underwater) for some part time work and always kept a pole spear with me. When I was scraping oysters and barnacles from the hulls and running gear and it would attract quite a few and I would sometimes take some for dinner.

oc1

They should call them Frustration Fish.
-steve

Three se7ens

Quote from: oc1 on November 30, 2018, 01:06:50 AM
They should call them Frustration Fish.
-steve

You must have fished for them before...  If you feel a bite, it means your bait is gone.  If you didnt feel a bite, it means your bait is gone. 

I was using a drop shot rig, with the weight a few inches off the bottom.  That was sensitive enough I felt most bites.  Still only managed to hook 2 fish.  Those damn things are experts at stealing bait without getting the pointy bit.

oc1

I used to do some fishing for them but very little catching.  Not very far from where you live either. 

Perhaps making a living picking tasty bits out of barnacle and oyster encrusted structure gives them a knack for avoiding sharp and pointed things.

-steve

Fishy247

I used to flyline(freeline) either a barnacle or a fiddler crab on a very light wire, super sharp hook. Nowadays, I'd opt for a mosquito hook. At the most, I'd use a very small split shot. It was mainly visual fishing. Watch your line and when it moved differently than it had been, set the hook. Most of the time, my hookup ratio was pretty good...of course, by "good" I mean somewhere around 50%...these are sheepshead, after all!

conchydong

Quote from: Fishy247 on December 01, 2018, 05:31:54 PM
I used to flyline(freeline) either a barnacle or a fiddler crab on a very light wire, super sharp hook. Nowadays, I'd opt for a mosquito hook. At the most, I'd use a very small split shot. It was mainly visual fishing. Watch your line and when it moved differently than it had been, set the hook. Most of the time, my hookup ratio was pretty good...of course, by "good" I mean somewhere around 50%...these are sheepshead, after all!

That's the technique. See how these commercial guys are doing it with bamboo poles and sight fishing. Disregard the introduction to the video if you like because it is sort of anti-recreational. I am a person that believes in both commercial and recreational when it is governed properly.

Reel 224

No comment it's a political Issue  :(..............................Joe
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

steelfish

Quote from: Three se7ens on November 19, 2018, 12:04:29 AM

........ Ive also had to downsize my gear a lot to be able to get good casting distance with light lures.  Much of what I use weighs between 1/4 and 3/8 oz. 

Adam, what gear are you using currently?
also what line test?

I've been reading how many guys fish in australia and they use 8# braid, 10# braid on new low profile reels or small good quality spinner reels and catch 15-25# snappers, man !! I bought some 10# braid and havent had the nerves to use it, it just toooo dang thin!!

The Baja Guy

Three se7ens

Quote from: steelfish on December 05, 2018, 09:19:18 PM
Quote from: Three se7ens on November 19, 2018, 12:04:29 AM

........ Ive also had to downsize my gear a lot to be able to get good casting distance with light lures.  Much of what I use weighs between 1/4 and 3/8 oz. 

Adam, what gear are you using currently?
also what line test?

I've been reading how many guys fish in australia and they use 8# braid, 10# braid on new low profile reels or small good quality spinner reels and catch 15-25# snappers, man !! I bought some 10# braid and havent had the nerves to use it, it just toooo dang thin!!

I usually carry 3 rods for inshore.  All have 15 lb power pro super 8 with a 12 - 20 lb fluoro leader. Leader is about 6' and tied to the mainline with an fg knot. This is very important, because with the long leader, the knot will go through the guides on every cast. The fg casts perfectly, even going through the guides.

#1 - 7'2" Blair Wiggins inshore rod, ml action, 6-12 lb line rating. Reel is a Shimano NASCI 3k. I usually use this with a vudu shrimp by egret baits. It's only 1/4 oz, but this combo still casts it very far(around 40 yds?)

#2 - 7'6" Crowder Salute ml rod, 6-12 line rating. Reel is a Quantum Smoke S3 25. 
#3 - 7'6" St Croix Mojo Yak my rod, 8-17 line rating. Reel is a Daiwa BG2509

On these two, I will run a weighted worm hook with a paddle tail soft plastic, or a hard plug. The lighter of the two lures will go on the Crowder rod, with the heavier on the mojo.

I run very light drag, typically 3 lbs give or take one. Even at that, a fish will pull the kayak around.

All 3 are under 16 oz fully rigged, with the lightest being the Crowder/Smoke combo at 13 oz. this light weight makes casting all day a breeze. I just can't do that with heavier setups.

These can still handle plenty big of fish. I've caught a number of 25"+ reds on these with no issues. Even when dealing with structure and oysters.

I'll put up some pics next week.

steelfish

thanks Adam for tell us about your rigs, as I said and you confirm it, small quality reels with really thin line.

The Baja Guy

oc1

I envy you guys who can use 8-12# braid.  I've tried several times but the stuff is just too small for me to see and handle late in the day when out on the water.  20# is manageable and since I only need about 110 yards it will fit on any reel.  But, 20# probably sacrifices some casting distance.  I am also unable to tie a good FG knot when out on the water.
-steve

Three se7ens

Quote from: steelfish on December 06, 2018, 06:34:16 PM
thanks Adam for tell us about your rigs, as I said and you confirm it, small quality reels with really thin line.

Here is the vudu shrimp rig, but all my inshore stuff is typically rigged this way.  No swivels, hardware, or anything.  Just braid to fluoro leader, and a loop knot to the lure.  Simple and effective.  The long leader lets you re-rig multiple times before the leader gets too short.  I typically start with about 6' of fluoro after the FG, and will re-tie when the fluoro gets down to 18-24".  The pictured FG knot is 15 lb powerpro super 8 slick braid to a 20 lb fluoro leader.  

Ill see if I can get a video put up of tying an FG knot on land and on the water.  There are a few tricks that make is easier, and a few key points that make all the difference in how strong it is.  A well done FG knot will break 20 lb seguar fluoro before the FG connection to 15 lb powerpro super 8 slick fails.  

Edit:  that rig pictured has landed at least a dozen reds and trout, and the FG knot has probably seen 3 times that many fish. 

Three se7ens

Still fighting crappy fishing weather, it's either raining or wind is blowing like crazy. I decided to try to brave the wind today, and managed a few fish before it got too rough to fish. Landed a few smaller seatrout and 3 decent slot reds. Not the best day, but I'm happy for anything that's not skunked, especially when you only get a couple of hours on the water.

edit:  all my fish today were landed on the rig shown above btw

Benni3

Great job man,,,and that looks like a killer rig ;D