winter reds

Started by Three se7ens, December 17, 2017, 12:04:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Benni3

This is great,,,,,from a kayak   :D that had to be fun  ;D

Three se7ens

I love fishing in the winter here.  Once the temps start to drop, the water clears up and the boat traffic goes way down.  Kayaks allow you to get to fish in super shallow water, and are far less likely to spook the fish.  To be able to get within 10 feet of reds in 2' of water without spooking them is incredible.    The water temp varies based on what the weather has been recently.  On Saturday, it was 50-51 degrees, but the previous monday it was 57-58 degrees.  As for the fish, even these 20+ inch reds will pull a kayak around pretty good.  We usually use light tackle:  10-20 lb braid on 2000-3000 sized reels and medium light to medium rods.  Makes for a fun fight, and there isnt much need for heavy drag in a kayak.

Waterproof boots, and appropriate clothing makes it pretty enjoyable when the air temp is 40+.  What worries me is seeing the people who go out in these conditions dressed in jeans and sweatshirts.  Cotton and cold water is a bad combination. 

Benni3

Quote from: Three se7ens on January 01, 2018, 02:51:29 AM
I love fishing in the winter here.  Once the temps start to drop, the water clears up and the boat traffic goes way down.  Kayaks allow you to get to fish in super shallow water, and are far less likely to spook the fish.  To be able to get within 10 feet of reds in 2' of water without spooking them is incredible.    The water temp varies based on what the weather has been recently.  On Saturday, it was 50-51 degrees, but the previous monday it was 57-58 degrees.  As for the fish, even these 20+ inch reds will pull a kayak around pretty good.  We usually use light tackle:  10-20 lb braid on 2000-3000 sized reels and medium light to medium rods.  Makes for a fun fight, and there isnt much need for heavy drag in a kayak.

Waterproof boots, and appropriate clothing makes it pretty enjoyable when the air temp is 40+.  What worries me is seeing the people who go out in these conditions dressed in jeans and sweatshirts.  Cotton and cold water is a bad combination. 
nice fish like that is not easy in a kayak,,,,, but very fun  ;D

Three se7ens

This is still winter right?  The weather lately sure doesnt seem like it.  Much of February saw the highs in the 70's and a few days in the 80's.  Had a much welcomed cold snap this weekend(highs in the mid 60's) which was just enough to keep the gnats hiding, and not pestering us fisherman.  Managed a decent seatrout and a small-ish red, but it was tough fishing today.  The wind was blowing good most of the day, and the tide was really ripping.  Fish were around, but not many were hungry it seems.  A few of the guys with me landed multiple reds, and an errant flouder, but a couple of guys got a gooseegg too.  Beautiful day on the water though, and like they say, a bad day of fishing is better than a good day at work.

biggiesmalls

Nothing like reds from a yak!

Drew

Shark Hunter

Great shot of you in the kayak Adam. ;)
I need to use mine more for fishing instead of just bait deployment.
I'm 30 days out for my next trip and I am ready.
Life is Good!

Three se7ens

Not quite winter yet, but the first part of this morning felt a little like it.  Air temp in the mid 40's and water temp in the mid 50's when I launched about 30 min before the sun came up.  First spot I hit up, I saw something big busting bait right up next to an oyster bed.  Threw a paddle tail soft plastic at it, and it got hit like a freight train as soon as it hit the water.  Few minutes later, I had a personal best 28.5" redfish in the yak.  It put up quite a fight, but being in a Hobie I was able to back it out to open water.  And the icing on the cake was this was the first fish I caught on a St Croix Mojo Yak rod I won in a tournament last month. 

After that, the fishing got slow, and only managed to find a couple trout the rest of the morning.  But sometimes it only takes one fish to make a day.  And that red sure did for me. 

Darin Crofton

God, Family and Fishing, what else is there?

Alto Mare

That's a nice red, I'm glad you getting some fishing done.
Nice pic!

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Reel 224

Also you could call them Limpid or Drum or red fish. But I would call that great fishing. Thanks for posting Adam.

Joe
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

Swami805

Nice fish! Looks like a good time on the water, got to love a new PB!
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Shark Hunter

Good Job Adam!
I caught my first red this past May and He was a freight train.
About 30" on a Battle 2 8000.
It was a rush.
I thought it was a Shark the way he was shaking.
You better have some big gear or they will spool you pretty quick.
Life is Good!

oc1

Quote from: Reel 224 on November 18, 2018, 03:52:10 AM
Also you could call them Limpid or Drum or red fish.
... or channel bass or spottail bass.

Way to go Adam.
-steve

Three se7ens

Quote from: Shark Hunter on November 18, 2018, 06:45:26 AM
Good Job Adam!
I caught my first red this past May and He was a freight train.
About 30" on a Battle 2 8000.
It was a rush.
I thought it was a Shark the way he was shaking.
You better have some big gear or they will spool you pretty quick.

Reds are great fighters at any size.

This was on daiwa bg2500 with 15 lb braid/20 lb fluoro leader. Getting spoiled isn't such an issue in the kayak, but they sure will drag you around.

STRIPER LOU

Very nice fish on artificials Adam! Are they good eating??

..........Lou