Pig Candy, Three Ways

Started by ChileRelleno, December 17, 2017, 06:58:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChileRelleno

Pig Candy is a time consuming labor of love to make, but the rewards are well worth it if you've the time to invest.
Today I made it Three Ways, Plain Candy (1.5lbs) , Candy w/Cayenne (1.5lbs) and Chocolate with Nuts/Salt (1lb).
I've made Pig Candy several times before and I think I've finally have it down, these batches had the hard, crunchy, candy glaze that I've been striving for.
My favorite SiL is staying with us through Christmas and she loves the stuff as much as I do, so needing no further excuse it was time to get it in gear.

Ingredients
4lbs Bacon, thickest cut you can find
1L Pure Maple Syrup
2lbs Brown Sugar
1C Melting/Dipping Chocolate
1T Sea Salt, coarse
1/2C Pecans, crushed
1T Cayenne, powdered

Dip a slice of bacon in Maple Syrup and let excess run off
Dredge in Brown Sugar, coat the bacon very generously
Lay on rack and smoke at 350°-375° till the bacon is obviously rendered and the candy glaze is well caramelized, approx 45min to 1 hour
Remove and place on cooling rack for glaze to dry, add cayenne or black pepper to taste
When fully cooled you can coat with chocolate and add nuts and/or salt as desired

Now I started this cook at 1100am, and it took about five hours to complete the four batches.
This meant a good lunch was needed to fuel my efforts, so I grilled up some Ribeyes, onions and jalapenos.

Aaaah, the first batch hits the cooling rack and gets dusted with cayenne!

The Plain and Cayenne piled up

The Chocolate with Nuts/Salt

Ragnar Benson:
"Never, under any circumstances, ever become a refugee.
Die if you must, but die on your home turf with your face to the wind, not in some stinking hellhole 2,000 kilometers away, among people you neither know nor care about."

Big Tim

Dude..The amount of effort you put into this is amazing...The pics are great to...It would only be better if you mailed me some so I would quit slobbering in my own lap  ;D thank you... I could only muster a meek meat platter for my family get together today  ;D  God Bless you and  yours Chile.

Tim