Are Okuma CL302 and CL 200 "disposable category" reels

Started by seaeagle2, June 30, 2011, 01:30:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

seaeagle2

I've got a Okuma CL 302 and a CL 200, I was thinking of replacing the drags, but a quick search didn't find either parts or a tutorial on how to do it.  I do have the schematics so I guess I could  just pull them apart and see if I can find drag washers that match. 
"One life, don't blow it" Kona Brewing
\"If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there\'d be a shortage of fishing poles\" Doug Larson

Bryan Young

I think those are the reels that Alan donated to Discover Angling (20 of them with rods) http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=1012.0.  We opened up the reels and replaced the drags washers with grease carbon fiber washers.  The internals are all stainless steel.  Very nice reel for the price, and now with smoooooth drags.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

akfish

I can't say much good about these reels: The internals are mostly stainless steel, but it's low quality stainless and does rust. But the main problem is that the frames are so light that they toque under even moderate pressure. A Penn 320 is a much, much better reel for 30#.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

Tile

I want to know if the handle side plate is made of metal or graphite.
In solid fiberglass we trust

Bryan Young

:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Tile

You confirmed my hunch. The big problem with this series of reels is the antireverse pawl post - it can shear under heavy loads. I have to say that a Penn 209 is a much better reel.
In solid fiberglass we trust

Bryan Young

If the Okuma CL302 has the same gear size as the Magda Pro 30DX, the washer under the gear is HT-100 #6-113 and the 3 HT-100 in the stack are #6-309.