Anyone ever use a pier gaff?

Started by FatTuna, December 20, 2017, 04:16:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FatTuna

I've been doing a lot of bridge fishing down south recently. Haven't hooked anything worthy of needing a pier gaff yet but I know that I will need one eventually. I've never used one before, not sure what kind to get. You guys have any tips?

Last year I was fishing the Skyway bridge in Tampa and saw a couple of guys land a  huge king mackerel with one.

I found a few on Ebay that essentially look like a giant bunker snag hook. Any preference on size and weight?

I also found this interesting video on Youtube. This guy is selling these but I'm thinking I could probably try and make one. Not going to lie, it's a pretty innovative design.

Cor

I have used two types of what we call "rope gaffs" and the most popular is one similar to what you see in the video, just larger.

We use them to gaff Yellowtail that we sometimes catch from spots as high as 50ft above the ocean.

They work adequately, but I must say I've never seen a Yellowtail or any other fish rope gaffed as easily as the fish in the video, it is difficult, takes some experience and no fear of heights to do it.   A bridge does make it much easier then some mountainside.

In Australia I've also seen them used.

Cornelis

Tightlines667

The commercial longliners use a spider rope gave, very similar to that one only larger, and all stainless steel to land large swordfish.  

The Ulua shorefishermen often use a single, double or tripple , 'slide gaff' that has a long shank with 2 rings (to slide down the mainline), and 1 ring (to attach a rope) welded on, to land large fish from the rocks or cliffs.  They also make a barrel gaff for dehooking the fish remotely.

Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

FatTuna

I've never seen one of those before. I'm going to hop on Youtube to see if I can find a video. That thing looks solid. Never heard of a spider rope gaff either. Learn something new everyday.

oc1

I've never seen anything like that one in your video.  Very ingenious. Too bad the guy had to scuff up his rig to get the shot.

Then YouTube offered to show this video of a more conventional pier gaff.  I clicked on it because there is a girl in a bikini and it is from Daron's favorite beach.  Check out the free swimming kings coming up under the hooked fish about 6:30 to 6:45.

-steve

Cor

Quote from: Tightlines666 on December 20, 2017, 05:19:45 AM
The commercial longliners use a spider rope gave, very similar to that one only larger, and all stainless steel to land large swordfish. 

The Ulua shorefishermen often use a single, double or tripple , 'slide gaff' that has a long shank with 2 rings (to slide down the mainline), and 1 ring (to attach a rope) welded on, to land large fish from the rocks or cliffs.  They also make a barrel gaff for dehooking the fish remotely.

Yip, this is similar to the other type I was referring to.   I actually prefer this type, 3 hooks and a slightly longer pole with bottom line guide slightly closer to the business end.

I no longer fish those places where rope gaffs are required. :'( :'(
Cornelis

1badf350

Yes we use them all the time pier fishing in the Outer Banks for Cobia and King Mackerel. The standard type we use is made by Sea Striker. The PG16 has four 16/0 hooks and the PG14 has 14/0 hooks. We mostly prefer the 16/0 size.
Sometimes you gotta use two gaffs if the fish is big, or the first gaff shot is iffy. We used three gaffs once on a giant Cobia

-Chris

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
John Wayne as J.B. Books in "The Shootist"

Swami805

We use them alot on the local pier. A giant treble hook with lead molded to the shank. Most of the ones I see also add a short piece of chain for a lttle better control.A few locals make them and make the hooks out of stainless. It takes some practice though
Do what you can with that you have where you are

thorhammer

yes, exact same as Chris shows for kings and cobes, just on southern NC piers. I had mine welded with six prongs and added chain....very useful as thirty feet of rope in a wind is a pain to keep straight and will blow gaff into line with not good ending. you can also pour lead  or concrete into the pipe instead. Will take a pic this evening.

otownjoe

Here's a picture of a few that I use. The chain helps control the hook in windy situations and allows you to move it around better. It also adds some safety factor for hooks that pull when you are lifting the fish. The added weight keeps the hooks from flying back at the person leaning over and lifting the fish. I have seen pulled gaffs turned into deadly projectiles. Especially when small gaffs with small ropes are used on big fish.  On big fish i always use two gaffs. The first gaff is to get the fish under control so I can take  my time and get a good stick with the second one. If I can't see that the hook is properly buried into the fish I won't lift. I also would recommend getting the bigger size rope. It's not about the weight the rope can handle but more about the comfort for the person lifting the fish . I use 5/8 inch rope on the small gaff and 3/4 inch on the big gaff. Unfortunately I haven't had the need to use these in a long time. Nowadays everything I catch fits into the hoop net.     Joe

Captain64-200

Fishing from a cliff in Morocco , the device used there is a cleaver one .  The leader goes through the center of the device  and down to the fish , the metal fangs act like barbs and hold the fish's head .

Fred from Biarritz ,

Dominick

Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

CooldadE

Years ago when it was still legal to gaff a Stugeon I used a large weighted treble hook gaff to pull up a 70 lb. fish. I was on the Antioch Ca. Pier and two of us pulled it up about 12' over the rail.
With a fish that heavy it was fairly easy to snag it.

Cool
I would rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6...

sdlehr

That gizmo Captain64-200 showed is an improved version of the one made out of PVC pipe and hooks shown in the video above. I like it.

Sid
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

handi2

Reminds me of when I was a kid Fishing Pensacola Beach pier. It was the only pier around.

Those free swimmers are Remora's that hang out for free eats. They are big!!

100lb Cobia have been caught of these piers.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL