Long drag taking run with a spinning reel ???

Started by Nasty Wendy, December 21, 2017, 04:08:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

1badf350

I routinely catch False Albacore in the 8-10lb range on my Battle 2500. Hell ive done it on a Daiwa Samurai $15 Dicks Sporting goods combo
-Chris

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
John Wayne as J.B. Books in "The Shootist"

handi2

John there are plenty up here in the panhandle and targeted by the Kayak crowd. Most people I know just dont eat them. I guess we are too picky. I have had burgers made from their meat and it was very good. We wouldn't even think of eating a Bonita.

Now back to the reel. If you already have a 6000 size for me I wouldn't bother with anything smaller unless it was just for fun fishing. I bought the Twinpower 5000 for lighter weigh and mass but it just didnt work out with the small line capacity.

A 5000 reel from another manufacturer can have more line capacity. You will have to compare.

A local marine mechanic caught an 87lb gulf Wahoo from an anchored boat with a Penn 8500SS. If it wasn't for the line capacity of these reels it wouldn't have happened. He was fly lining a live Cigar Minnow for King Mackerel while bottom fishing.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

conchydong

Pound for Pound I don't notice a difference between Blackfin and Yellowfin as far as the fight goes. The only difference is that usually you are using lighter tackle when targeting Blackfin. As far as taste, I can't tell the difference when treated properly. Having said that, I like Skippies just as much as both of them , even more in certain dishes like Poke where you have a lot of strong ingredients mixed with it like sesame oil. The Skipjack holds up better when matched with the additives.

I am one of the rare Floridians that doesn't like to fish with spinners except when bailing Dolphin or Yellowtailing (Snapper), so I can't help with your question.

Nasty Wendy

So how much line capacity would you all feel comfortable with?  I can get 300 yards of 45lb test on the 5000 which makes 22lbs of drag.  I'm not hellbent on using a 5000 but will if the capacity is enough.  Anyone think I need more than 300 yards with my drag set at 15lbs?
Hi I'm Clay.
Lets raise our children to be Super Fishermen not Superficial men and women.

The more I interact with people the more I like my dog.

boon

Quote from: Nasty Wendy on December 27, 2017, 01:35:44 AM
So how much line capacity would you all feel comfortable with?  I can get 300 yards of 45lb test on the 5000 which makes 22lbs of drag.  I'm not hellbent on using a 5000 but will if the capacity is enough.  Anyone think I need more than 300 yards with my drag set at 15lbs?

I think that would be more than sufficient. Gear up for 95% of the fish you will catch, rather than worrying about that 5%, you'll have more fun :)

Nasty Wendy

Quote from: boon on December 27, 2017, 02:54:33 AM
Quote from: Nasty Wendy on December 27, 2017, 01:35:44 AM

I think that would be more than sufficient. Gear up for 95% of the fish you will catch, rather than worrying about that 5%, you'll have more fun :)

That's the goal.  Being able to fish this rig ALL DAY AND NIGHT (within reason of course) without ever feeling like its getting heavy.  The question I have about all of this though is can a small drag washer spinning reel handle a fish running a 160 yards pulling 15lbs of drag.  Do they dissipate heat good enough to stand up to that?  The size that earned the nick name "footballs" won't be a problem but will still be fun BUT its when that 35+lber snatches your jig that has me concerned.  It'll be fun finding out.   :)
Hi I'm Clay.

Nasty Wendy

Quote from: handi2 on December 27, 2017, 12:50:41 AM
John there are plenty up here in the panhandle and targeted by the Kayak crowd. Most people I know just dont eat them. I guess we are too picky. I have had burgers made from their meat and it was very good. We wouldn't even think of eating a Bonita.

Now back to the reel. If you already have a 6000 size for me I wouldn't bother with anything smaller unless it was just for fun fishing. I bought the Twinpower 5000 for lighter weigh and mass but it just didnt work out with the small line capacity.

A 5000 reel from another manufacturer can have more line capacity. You will have to compare.

A local marine mechanic caught an 87lb gulf Wahoo from an anchored boat with a Penn 8500SS. If it wasn't for the line capacity of these reels it wouldn't have happened. He was fly lining a live Cigar Minnow for King Mackerel while bottom fishing.

Now Bonita I immediately process as bait.  It gets clubbed and chunked just after hitting the deck.  We lure the sharks away by tossing the Bonita caucuses in the opposite direction of where we lay out our chunks as bait.  The bait goes in when we see the shark go after the caucus.

How much line were you able to get on your 5000?  300 yds?  I have a Penn Spinfisher V 8500LL and that sounds like something I'd do with that reel.  It would be awesome to get a Wahoo like that.  I've only ever got them on the troll. 
Hi I'm Clay.

MarkT

I'd feel reasonably comfortable fishing bait for Wahoo with the 8000 spool. All day with the 10k. I have 400yds of 65# Maxcuatro on my 10k and add a 50-80# leader.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

Nasty Wendy

So now that I'm finished with the Holiday mayhem and the flu >:(, I've put together a rig to try as a general purpose all around rig.  I have available to me a Shimano Shperos fb spinner with spools in the 5000, 6000, and 8000 size.  It just so happens that I had a spool of 300yds of 40lb Power Pro braid laying around.  Well the PP is 10lb test diameter and the 6000 spool holds 300yds of 10lb test so that just fell into place.  So we now have a Shimano Shperos 6000fb spooled with 300yds of 40lb PP Braid.  And for the rod........I am going to put an OLD Ugly Stik to the test.  I have a 7' Ugly Stik SP1100 MH action rod that has been collecting dust in a celing rack for years.  I'm not even sure this rod is rated for saltwater as the guides are chrome looking with inserts, you know that cheap Ugly Stik chrome.  Now get this, I put the reel on the rod and tested the rod's strength by deadlifting deep drop weights with it.  It lifted the 2lb, 3lb, and 5lb weights with a bend that I can actually fight a fish with.  Stepped it up a bit and it lifted 7lb, 8lb, and 10lb weights!!! Holy Cow, an old Ugly Stik rated for 8-20lb mono dead lifting 10lbs!!!!  So now I'm just curious.......lets put 13lbs on.  LIFTED IT!!!  The rod was clearly at its limits and the bend was not something I could fight a fish with unless the fish was swimming directly under my feet.  The rod was bent 180° suspending 13lbs of weight off the floor.  OK I have to give it a shot but with a drag setting just under 10lbs.  So this is a fairly small set up that I plan on tying multiple different fishing rigs to to give a run through.  I may even toss out a 60g speed jig with it to see that 180° bend come in and pop my fishing buddies eyes out of their heads.  Yeah we do all types of crap just for each others' reaction although I'm serious about using this rig to actually catch fish.  If this works out I'll upgrade the rod later.  Thanks for the insight and interesting conversation here guys. :)
Hi I'm Clay.

Florida Cracker

I like the older sp1100s. Not as sensitive as full graphite rods, but the blend of glass makes them tough as nails. I have a 4.6 that I've put many sea trout and Snook in the boat with.
The longest run I ever had was a large bonefish with a Ryobi silver cloud sx4 that nearly spooled me with one long run and then he was done and game willingly to the boat. The drag on that reel held up smoothly. This was back in the 70s when it was still new. It had 15# mono and the drag was set accordingly.

bill19803

Here in the east  we sometimes  get    some  supersized  long   fins  in  the  canyons that  will   go   50  or   60   or  more.  When  they  are on  top   chasing bait (usually  at  dawn) i   use  my  9500  with  scotts  under  spool  drag   kit  and it   does them just   fine. Your  arm   gets a bit  weary  half  way  thru the  second one    but   who cares.  And  they   do take  long   runs   at  full power  and  when  they  finish up its usually a   bonzai   run   and  then   done.  Never had a  problem   with  the   9500  after   those   expeditions. Takes  a licking  and   keeps  on catching. Just like all the old penns. But i  cheat a  bit   i  dont use a  spinning  rod  but a  heavy bait   rod  7465XH with  ring  guides(25 mm   to 12mm  not acid  wrapped)   and  that  seems  to take the  starch out of them   pretty    quick if im in a hurry. Ya  just  cant   do the rail  rod  trick  though. OUCH  my  arm is  aching  just  thinking of  that punishment.