Ice Fishing? Need some knowledge on it.

Started by Nasty Wendy, December 21, 2017, 04:16:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nasty Wendy

NOPE I'm not going ice fishing.  I do want to use an ice fishing rod though.  Just for kicks when I'm out fishing with the fellas and they are bragging about who is the better fisherman I'd like to whip out one of those teeny tiny ice fishing rods and catch a big fish it while they watch.  Nothing says "You cannot fish as good as me" like catching the same fish as someone else with severely undersized gear....especially if I break it out after they miss one.  What I need to know to accomplish this "just for fun" task is is there anything special about ice fishing rods?  They all seem unbreakable...not that I've seen more than two different kinds...and they seem to put the fish against your bicepts and your reel.  There seems to be no actual help from the rod.  Please fill me in on anything I'm missing. 
Hi I'm Clay.
Lets raise our children to be Super Fishermen not Superficial men and women.

The more I interact with people the more I like my dog.

happyhooker

Did a lot of ice fishing when I 1st moved to Minnesota (from Arizona!), but not so much lately.

Rods are short because you need to be near the hole to get the fish out.  Plus, if you fish inside an icehouse, most of 'em are too small to have any kind of long rod inside.

Not sure what you mean about putting the fish against your biceps.  The short rod means you do kinda muscle the fish out of the water, rather than playing them with the rod, but fish generally don't fight as strongly in the cold water either.

Frank

Lunker Larry

They're like any rod. They come in different weights from small crappie or perch rods to stouter ones for pike.
You know that moment when your steak is on the grill and you can already feel your mouth watering.
Do vegans feel the same when mowing the lawn?

MarkT

You had me worried.  I hadn't thought you needed that much of an excuse to sit in a shack and drink beer.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

Nasty Wendy

Thanks guys for that input. 

Happyhooker,
Yeah when I said bicepts against the fish I meant you don't have a rod to increase leaverage or line retrieval so you are pretty much muscling it up.  That was based on what I saw in videos having no actual experience with this myself.  Thanks.

Lunker Larry,
So there are different weight rods?  Do they all bend nearly 180°?  Is there a source for an "Ugly Stik" equivalent version?  This is just for fun so I'm not really looking to get serious or spend as much as I do for my often used gear.  Thanks.
Hi I'm Clay.

foakes

Hey, Clay --

If this would work for your purpose -- let me know and I will send it out to you at N/C.

It is a 33" Swede Stick in SS.  Not sure if the reel you have in mind will work -- this would take a baitcaster type or a spincast reel.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Tightlines667

I like Frabil, and Fenwick ice fishing rods, but they are graphite and will break if fished outta specs.  You may want a heavy glass rod for what you have in mind.  I have caught a lot of Pelagics on ice fishing rods.  Used to bring them on commercial boats cause they're easy to pack.

John
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

MarkT

Just challenge your buddies to a snoopy rod contest to see who can land the largest fish on one.  A barbie rod counts too!
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

Lunker Larry

If you have an old spinning rod, what many do is cut it at the handle and cut a piece about 2 feet long from the tip. Shoot a bunch of hot glue into the handle and jam the end piece in. Voila! No cost and you can use your old reels.
You know that moment when your steak is on the grill and you can already feel your mouth watering.

Gfish

Long time no-hear NW. Fred's offer, witha spincast reel and the heaviest line that'll work would probably have the desired effect. I'd recommend an old "Abumatic", they were pretty tough for their size. Then again,  the "Barbie rod" would really get their goat!
Gfish
!
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Lunker Larry

I'd take Fred up on that offer on the rod. It has some backbone. Don't forget, some huge pike, muskie and sturgeon among others get pulled up through that hole and the rods are pencil thin and the drag on the reels is the size of a dime.

Gobi King

I am not much of an ice fisherman as my girls get bored and we end up flying our kites instead.

Few years back I was looking into ice rod, the best value I found was zebco dock demon rods. There are videos on youtube of guys pulling big red fish with those,

I loaded up on half a dozen of them, they even came with a small spinning/spincast reel, I donated the reels to the youth fishing events.

These are pretty well made rod for the price. You can get the combo for $9 if you wait for sales.
Shibs - aka The Gobi King
Fichigan

Nasty Wendy

You guy are dead on with what y'all are coming up with BUT I've already broke out the Spider-Man rod and caught a Bullred. Now my buddy keeps a Snoopy reel on his boat to counter that move. So I then took my light weight inshore rod with a 2500 reel and put  tandom  Buck tail lures on it and brought up two Red Snappers from 60 ft down. He hadn't topped that one yet but I know he'll have his answer for that soon. That's why I NEED to have the absolute smallest combo possible. I will surely get their goat with this stunt. Lol. #Fishingisfun

Fred,
I appreciate that offer. I'll have to see if I can source a suitable reel to mount on that reel. I know I can source a spinner to suit my needs but I'll look for an affordable baitcaster that can get this job done. Thanks I'll let you know.
Hi I'm Clay.

BradH

Don't forget about the Ron Popeil Pocket Fisherman.  One of our clubs tournaments each year has a Calcutta for for only Ronco caught fish.

Bryan Young

Quote from: foakes on December 21, 2017, 08:01:07 PM
Hey, Clay --

If this would work for your purpose -- let me know and I will send it out to you at N/C.

It is a 33" Swede Stick in SS.  Not sure if the reel you have in mind will work -- this would take a baitcaster type or a spincast reel.

Best,

Fred

Fred, that's such a cool rod.  I love how the guides are made from the blank.

My friends bought some ice fishing rod combos when they took their kids trout fishing.  They wanted something but didn't want to spend a lot of money.  I think the combos were like $10-$15 each.  I changed the drag out and line and off they went.  The kids caught 6 trout each and said it was so much fun because the ice fishing rods were so flexible.  Fighting a small fish felt like a big fish and a big fish felt like a huge fish.  I can only imagine how it feels to pull up a sturgeon, pike or monster trout on those little things in the ice.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D