Ice Fishing? Need some knowledge on it.

Started by Nasty Wendy, December 21, 2017, 04:16:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

foakes

Quote from: Nasty Wendy on December 22, 2017, 09:33:03 AM
Fred,
I appreciate that offer. I'll have to see if I can source a suitable reel to mount on that reel. I know I can source a spinner to suit my needs but I'll look for an affordable baitcaster that can get this job done. Thanks I'll let you know.

Clay, Just let me know if you want a baitcaster, what kind -- or a push button spincaster, and what kind...and I will send one along with the rod.

I have more than a few, and you don't need any further expenses after this last year your family has had.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

philaroman

for truly undersized, yet strong & surprising line capacity, consider the tiny old Japanese reels:
Olympic Midget, Daiwa Coronet, Shimano Demi, etc.

Coronet Mini is the smallest I can think of, but may not hold enough line:

Tightlines667

Quote from: philaroman on December 22, 2017, 06:44:57 PM
for truly undersized, yet strong & surprising line capacity, consider the tiny old Japanese reels:
Olympic Midget, Daiwa Coronet, Shimano Demi, etc.

Coronet Mini is the smallest I can think of, but may not hold enough line:

That is the perfect reel for microfishing...

http://microfishing.com
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

philaroman

nah -- no reel, at all, for micro...
Japanese Tenkara or lightest Euro Whip pole, if you have the bucks
not-quite-dry bamboo stalk -- if you're poor

actually, my least/lowest tech. set-up was 2' 7X tippet looped on my pinkie & tiny Mustad spade-eye baited w/ my booger
got me a 1.5" bluegill, in no time  ::)

oc1

Phil, do any of those reels have a clutch?  Thanks.
-steve

Nasty Wendy

Quote from: foakes on December 22, 2017, 05:38:35 PM
Quote from: Nasty Wendy on December 22, 2017, 09:33:03 AM
Fred,
I appreciate that offer. I'll have to see if I can source a suitable reel to mount on that reel. I know I can source a spinner to suit my needs but I'll look for an affordable baitcaster that can get this job done. Thanks I'll let you know.

Clay, Just let me know if you want a baitcaster, what kind -- or a push button spincaster, and what kind...and I will send one along with the rod.

I have more than a few, and you don't need any further expenses after this last year your family has had.

Best,

Fred

Wow Fred,
You really make it hard for a fellow to say no.  I appreciate this.  Yeah my family has had a hard year but my daughter has FULLY healed and is back to being a normal teenager.  She is no doubt a walking miracle and I am an overweight father.  I must have put on 20lbs from eating fast food and sleeping in a hospital bed next to her all summer (from Easter Sunday to two weeks into the start of the school year!).  I'll have to shoot video and take pics of the aftermath of their embarrassment ;D.  As far as a reel, this is going to be a saltwater game we're playing so anything that can hold a 150-200 yards of 30lb braid would be perfect.  I'm not really big into bait casters so I don't know if that is a lot or not.  I have no idea what the line capacity is on a standard bait caster.  The only casting I do offshore is with spinning tackle.  I'm assuming the amount of drag I'd be able to put to use would be limited by the rod.  I'd run 10 lbs max with 30lb braid if the rod could hold up to that.  This would make for a pretty epic fight with a nice Red Snapper.  That would be even more fun because the longer the fight the more people will want to see what is going on.  That'll make for a larger audience for my fishing bud's embarrassment. LOL. This guy is the type that'll catch a fish and if its nice he'll put it back in the water and wait until another boat pulls up so he then lift the fish out the water for the other boat to see and then say "This one is twice as big as yours huh?".  Its the kind of thing that makes you want to throw a 3oz bank sinker at him.  Gotta love good fishing buddies.       
Hi I'm Clay.
Lets raise our children to be Super Fishermen not Superficial men and women.

The more I interact with people the more I like my dog.

foakes

Good, Clay --

PM me your full mailing information -- and I will get something put together and shipped out to you just after Christmas.

Don't know where you live -- but am always concerned this time of year with folks maybe not at home when the "Porch Pirates" cruise by.

Will advise with a tracking number and ETA.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Nasty Wendy

Quote from: foakes on December 22, 2017, 10:03:10 PM
Good, Clay --

PM me your full mailing information -- and I will get something put together and shipped out to you just after Christmas.

Don't know where you live -- but am always concerned this time of year with folks maybe not at home when the "Porch Pirates" cruise by.

Will advise with a tracking number and ETA.

Best,

Fred

Thanks again Fred.  Amazed at you.  PM coming.
Hi I'm Clay.

Nasty Wendy

Quote from: philaroman on December 22, 2017, 08:21:18 PM
nah -- no reel, at all, for micro...
Japanese Tenkara or lightest Euro Whip pole, if you have the bucks
not-quite-dry bamboo stalk -- if you're poor

actually, my least/lowest tech. set-up was 2' 7X tippet looped on my pinkie & tiny Mustad spade-eye baited w/ my booger
got me a 1.5" bluegill, in no time  ::)

I hollered out loud.   ;D
Hi I'm Clay.

bhale1

Well,
Fred's being Fred again.....true spirit of the Ohana..... way to go
And, we of course want a pic when you beat him at his own game with Fred's rod......can't wait.....
I guess next you'll have to handline them in to beat him ;D
Brett

Nasty Wendy

I have a gift for you Fred.  I picked up a few items for my fishing buddies and well I think you deserve one of them. PM me your address please.
Hi I'm Clay.