cf replacement Drag thickness - small spinning reels

Started by Gobi King, December 21, 2017, 05:33:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gobi King

I have a few spinning reels with felt drags in them.
I want to upgrade these to drag material from ebay seller cfdrag

1. Should I get the .5 mm think drag sheet?
2. Is the ebay seller the only source for these drag sheets?
3. Cals grease, I can't seem to find my cal's grease tub, what is good value seller fo cal's grease?

I have a few days off at home with the girls, can't wait to do my first cf drag upgrade :-)

Shibs - aka The Gobi King
Fichigan

Shark Hunter

If the .5 is thinner than your felt washers, the stack will be too short, and not apply drag properly.
Try to match it to the thickess you have if it is feasible.
I buy my Cal's in pound tubs, but you can find small one ounce containers on the fleabay too.
cfdrag is a stand up seller.
Life is Good!

Gobi King

Quote from: Shark Hunter on December 21, 2017, 06:22:24 PM
If the .5 is thinner than your felt washers, the stack will be too short, and not apply drag properly.
Try to match it to the thickess you have if it is feasible.
I buy my Cal's in pound tubs, but you can find small one ounce containers on the fleabay too.
cfdrag is a stand up seller.

Ok, measure thickness of felt and order.

Hmm, I have a few make/model, it will be interesting to see how they compare.

1 oz on flea was $5 shipped. But that seems to be just a dab :-(.

Where do you get your by pounds Sir?
Fichigan

bhale1

Gobi...
Dawn at Smoothdrag most likely has CF washers for you, and you can get Cal's from her also....throw in a little light oil and your set..,one stop shopping...great customer service 😀
Brett

Edit.....I'm not trying to talk you out of cutting your own, but if your only doing a few reels sometimes it just seems easier to get them precut.....

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

handi2

I would get them from Smooth Drag. Perfect fit and thickness.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Tiddlerbasher

I cut my own washers where possible. BUT if you only have a couple of reels get them from Dawn (Smoothdrag) and a small tub of Cal's too :)
Usually most spinners are around the 1mm thick for washers ;)

handi2

Quote from: Tiddlerbasher on December 21, 2017, 10:59:51 PM
I cut my own washers where possible. BUT if you only have a couple of reels get them from Dawn (Smoothdrag) and a small tub of Cal's too :)
Usually most spinners are around the 1mm thick for washers ;)

Correct.

Most all spinners are 1mm in thickness except for Daiwa. You will find some that are .5mm in those reels. Daiwa is always different in many ways.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Gobi King

1 mm cf drag material ordered off fleabay

Scotts has the regular Cal's and the cold weather Cal's, (yeah, 1 lb tub!)

Here is Fichigan it is anywhere from 40F to 80F when I am out fishing, mostly on the cold side as  for Walleye, Trout etc.

Should I get the thinner Cal's for cold temps?

I am going to order the drag precut from smooth drag for some of my okumas without carbonite drags and some of the abu ambass's. For the spinners I want to try to make my own.

Thanks guys!
Fichigan

Tiddlerbasher

I've tried both types of Cals - purple and standard - in use I couldn't tell the difference :-\
For the past couple of years I've been using Mercury Quicksilver 2-4-C with PTFE/Teflon marine grease. I use it on drags and everything else. It works well for me and is much cheaper (4x) than Cals in the UK.

smnaguwa

I have cut my own drag washers for older spinners from CF sheets I ordered from SmoothDrag. Great service.

Gobi King

Quote from: Tiddlerbasher on December 22, 2017, 02:35:31 PM
I've tried both types of Cals - purple and standard - in use I couldn't tell the difference :-\
For the past couple of years I've been using Mercury Quicksilver 2-4-C with PTFE/Teflon marine grease. I use it on drags and everything else. It works well for me and is much cheaper (4x) than Cals in the UK.

I found an "Okuma cals"  tub in my grease stash, I will start with that now, good to know merc quicksilver works too.

I received my "CF Drag" sheet from ebay and it is a 2 cf sheets bonded to filler substrate material in the middle, is this how it is supposed to be?

Fichigan

Shark Hunter

Yes, They are laminated sheets.
They work very well.
Life is Good!

Gobi King

Fichigan