What fish is this

Started by The Great Maudu, December 22, 2017, 02:04:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Great Maudu

Caught on vintage tackle in the surf near Panama City Beach. Can anyone help identify it?

wailua boy

Looks to be one of the amberjacks possibly, not sure on species...

redfish12

FatTuna

It's a bluefish. Aka, a yellow eyed devil. They will bite you and leave you with a nasty wound if you aren't careful. Those are good shark bait.

Some people eat them. Personally, I don't care for them. The meat is very oily and fishy. If you do want to eat it, make a cut in it's gills and bleed it when it's still alive. Then fillet it and eat it that night. Oily fish degrades very quickly. A lot of guys smoke them. Smoked bluefish is actually pretty good.

Shark Hunter

Definitely a Big Blue Mike.
I've never seen one that big in the gulf. The ones we usually catch are barely legal. 14"
Life is Good!

The Great Maudu

I thought it wS way too big to be a Blue. Like you Shark Hunter I've never seen one that big in the gulf. He said it weighed 20 lbs and took 20 minutes to beach. He let go to fight again.

sdlehr

Quote from: The Great Maudu on December 22, 2017, 03:28:30 AMHe said it weighed 20 lbs
That there's what you call a fish story....
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

Bryan Young

Not sure but definitely in the Jack family.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

steelhead_killer

><)))">

conchydong

Big Blue.
I don't know about the Gulf Coast but on the SE Atlantic (FL) coast usually early to mid March we get a run of fairly large Bluefish heading back north. Sometimes the schools are quite a ways offshore other times not so far off of the beach. These fish often exceed ten pounds.
During the southerly migration in the Fall, the Bluefish are generally smaller and usually caught near the beaches although I have caught them on the bottom in 400' of water. Not a fan of them for the table but they do smoke well and are fun to pull on when it is too rough to go in the boat. Bleeding and icing down immediately helps make them more palatable. Don't freeze them whatever you do.

Scott

oc1

We used to find a few as they passed by the Carolinas too.  Twenty pounds may be a bit generous on the size estimate.
-steve

Dominick

Quote from: oc1 on December 22, 2017, 08:42:02 PM
We used to find a few as they passed by the Carolinas too.  Twenty pounds may be a bit generous on the size estimate.
-steve
Come on give the fisherman a chance to lie like all of us... ;D  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

oc1

Generosity has it's limits Dominick  :)  I also think the fish is either dead or nearly dead.  And this, my friends, is how the Grinch stold Christmas.  :)
-steve

George6308

fordfox

The attached picture is the current leader in the BLUEFISH division of the Long Island Fisherman Dream Boat contest. The fish pictured is 21.63 pounds.