What fish is this

Started by The Great Maudu, December 22, 2017, 02:04:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rivverrat

Every time I look at the pics of the fish some of you have access to I am just amazed. Hoping so much for my son Luke & I to be able to trip on one of the boats...Jeff

Shark Hunter

Blues look different depending on where they come from.
The record is 31 lbs I believe.
Life is Good!

FatTuna

I've caught hundreds of blues. Never once caught one over 20lbs. 20lb blue is a monster.

When I was a teenager I used to "estimate" all my fish. Then one day one of the commercial guys chuckled when I told him one of my bass was 40lbs. He came over with his scale. Wasn't even 30lbs. It was like 25. That guy later ended up going on the Wicked Tuna show. It really let the air out of my balloon. It made me realize that every big fish that I had ever caught was really only half as big as I thought. After that I came back down to earth. Now I have my Chatillon and do the same. Rule of thumb, if a guy on the internet says he caught a big fish but didn't weight it, divide by two.

1badf350

Growing up on the Chesapeake Bay in the 80s the blues were really all we had to catch. Stripers had been decimated and there was a moratorium on them.

Nowadays I fish the piers in the outer banks. We routinely use live bluefish as bait.
-Chris

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
John Wayne as J.B. Books in "The Shootist"

Donnyboat

We use amberjack for fish morneay, or stock for fish chowder, over here Western Australia, they come in differant colours cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

Swami805

Amazing how some fish can take on the colors of their surroundings so much so that it becomes hard to recognize them as the same fish.
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Benni3

bluefish69

The picture of the man holding the Blue Fish is called Tony Fish. He is a regular fishermen on the Brooklyn VI for years. I know him 20+ years. I'm sure that's not his biggest Blue Fish.

Mike
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

Penn Chronology

No doubt a Bluefish, pound for pound, they are great fighters, as far as food, my cat spits them out.

I love to catch and release them on light spinning tackle. The Monsters (over 10 pounds) are usually caught at Montauk Point on a regular basis.

The Great Maudu

As far as size and weight go, I'm just the messenger passing on what the fisherman estimated it to be. I have never seen a blue anywhere near that size in the northern Gulf of Mexico. I've checked with some friends who fish there regularly and they said they haven't seen one that size before either. It's weird.

Shark Hunter

This is the size we usually catch.
Life is Good!

Penn Chronology

QuoteThis is the size we usually catch.

Great fun on light spinning tackle. Also the small ones actually are edible.

Shark Hunter

My Boy Michael caught that Blue with a Vintage 4/0 Black on a St. Croix rod in rough surf with a pinfish we caught in the bay.
The next day, I caught a 6' Spinner Shark using that bluefish head for bait.
That is the way you do it. Use squid or shrimp to catch small fish, Use that to catch bigger bait fish, Then move on up the food chain. ;)
He wanted to cook it, but we needed bait. ;)
Life is Good!

FatTuna

That last one is what people call a cocktail blue. Perfect shark bait. I fish those guys live all the time for tunas.

Penn Chronology

QuoteThat last one is what people call a cocktail blue. Perfect shark bait. I fish those guys live all the time for tunas.

My friend made up this fake magazine cover with a small Bluefish I caught on his boat. These are my favorite size Blues. This made it to the table...