Daiwa 8600

Started by The Fishing Hobby, December 22, 2017, 07:54:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Fishing Hobby

No problem, no7000 series stuff.

festus

Got an old interesting ad for this series of Daiwa here.

The Fishing Hobby

Chuck750ss

Just a FYI. Some spools for 8600/8700 are 3 drag, some are 6.

The Fishing Hobby

Quote from: Chuck750ss on June 15, 2018, 07:36:58 PM
Mine came with 6 even on the smaller 8100. 3 Teflon and 3 metal, very smooth drag setup. Any info on how to identify which ones had a 3 drag washer stack?

Reel 224

I own the 9000DX surf reel and it is a beast!

Joe
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

Chuck750ss

Quote from: The Fishing Hobby on June 18, 2018, 10:12:50 PM
Quote from: Chuck750ss on June 15, 2018, 07:36:58 PM
Mine came with 6 even on the smaller 8100. 3 Teflon and 3 metal, very smooth drag setup. Any info on how to identify which ones had a 3 drag washer stack?
Nothing definite. 1st photo is 3 8700 spools. One on left is 3 drag. Other two are 6 drag. All share same part number .

Chuck750ss

8600. Two on left are 3 drag. One on right 6 drag. Two have same part number. Silver spool does not have a number.

The Fishing Hobby

The ones with the smaller drag clicker are all 6 drag washer spools then? That may be what to look for.

Chuck750ss

Quote from: The Fishing Hobby on June 19, 2018, 08:11:11 PM
The ones with the smaller drag clicker are all 6 drag washer spools then? That may be what to look for.
Good eye. Wasn't paying attention to that.

festus

About a week ago the USPS delivered this Daiwa 8300A from the big auction.  I didn't pay much, if I remember correctly the shipping cost more than the reel.  Nothing really attractive here externally, it's lost its medallion and it's scuffed a bit with some paint loss, but nothing wrong internally.

Sizewise it's about the same as a Shakespeare 2062, Mitchell 300, or D-A-M Quick 220.  Built similar to the Shakespeare and Quick with an extra ball bearing on the non-handle side of the main gear.  According to schematic it's rated for 200 yds. of 12 lb. mono.  It's a piece of cake servicing these, no snap ring to deal with on the pinion bearing and no rolled pin on the handle. No c-clips, either.  I lubed it up with Ardent Reel Butter and Ardent Reel Oil.  The a/r is similar to that of Penn greenie or Royal Maroon Shakespeare.  The clicker on the a/r is very quiet.  Probably smoother than the Shakes or Quicks.  I've never owned a Penn greenie so I don't know they'd compare.

This reel will be one of my go to candidates for bank fishing around rocks or mud that calls for rigs I won't give a hoot about getting scratched or dirty.

The Fishing Hobby

Congratulations on the reel! They are a really nice series of reels for sure. They aren't very sought after by collectors so you can pick up some bargains. The maroon Shakespeare reels are a puzzle to me. They are such great reels but still available at great prices. I guess that they must have made so many they aren't rare enough to command high prices? They sure are nice reels!

Midway Tommy

Looks like pretty good quality, Chester. It should serve you well.
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

festus

Instead of starting a new thread, I'll post these pics in the original by The Fishing Hobby.

I got this Daiwa 8600 on eBay in a lot of 9 assorted spincasters, baitcasters, and spinners.  All reels averaged $4.75 shipped each.

It was scuffed and dirty, handled turned very stiffly, needed serviced very badly.

Wouldn't doubt it had ever been serviced.

Cleaning this one was a chore.  Lacquer thinner, Simple Green, and Dawn dishwashing detergent took care of it.

Reinstalling bail trip lever and spring.

Used Ardent Reel Butter reel oil on the bearings.  This reel had one pinion bearing and two bearings on the main gear.

Almost got it back together.

Still scratched and scuffed and definitely not a looker but this reel will be fished.  It's missing a side plate screw I can probably find either in the laundry room or garage.

These reels weigh 18.4 oz not including line, and are approximately the same size as a D-A-M Quick 440 or a Shakespeare 2081-A.  They should be able to handle many of the larger freshwater species such as catfish, striped bass, carp, buffalo, drum, lake trout, and paddlefish.

The Fishing Hobby

Quote from: festus on May 09, 2019, 11:09:48 PM
Instead of starting a new thread, I'll post these pics in the original by The Fishing Hobby.

I got this Daiwa 8600 on eBay in a lot of 9 assorted spincasters, baitcasters, and spinners.  All reels averaged $4.75 shipped each.

It was scuffed and dirty, handled turned very stiffly, needed serviced very badly.

Wouldn't doubt it had ever been serviced.

Cleaning this one was a chore.  Lacquer thinner, Simple Green, and Dawn dishwashing detergent took care of it.

Reinstalling bail trip lever and spring.

Used Ardent Reel Butter reel oil on the bearings.  This reel had one pinion bearing and two bearings on the main gear.

Almost got it back together.

Still scratched and scuffed and definitely not a looker but this reel will be fished.  It's missing a side plate screw I can probably find either in the laundry room or garage.

These reels weigh 18.4 oz not including line, and are approximately the same size as a D-A-M Quick 440 or a Shakespeare 2081-A.  They should be able to handle many of the larger freshwater species such as catfish, striped bass, carp, buffalo, drum, lake trout, and paddlefish.

That looks like it cleaned up well! The history marks are no big deal  ;D
Hope you like it, they are very good quality reels!