Anybody know what reel this is?

Started by 1badf350, December 22, 2017, 01:54:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1badf350

I cant see any markings on it.  ???

-Chris

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
John Wayne as J.B. Books in "The Shootist"

thorhammer

Looks like Pfleuger to me based on the right side plate to ring fitment and the bolted arbor on the handle, but that's a total SWAG from looking at mine that are much more recent. That's an old looking piece.

Tightlines667

Post it up on ORCA, and someone will know for sure.  The foot looks like a Pflueger.  I don't think it's a Monty. Has a Blackburn external drag ad on.  May be an unmarked JVH.  A look inside might help here.

John
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

The Great Maudu

John might be right. It appears that the right side trim band is overlapping. I've never seen a Pflueger with that kind of treatment. Here are a couple pics of an unmarked reel with unusual trim ring attachments.

AntiqueReelman

Hi, first time posting here but I am an ORCA member.  Your large reel looks to be made by Montague . The foot and cross bar are heavier then Pfluegers...the Pflueger foot is often tapered ...this reel's is squarish. I see it looks to be a 500 yarder from the yardage stamp on the foot. The drag handle is called a Rabbeth drag , it was patented in 1902 by Francis Rabbeth . It is often found on large Pfluegers, VomHofe, Meisselbach and Montague reels.  If you look closely on the metal you may see the 1/14/02 patent date stamping...also look from behind as sometimes it's on the back of the drag disk.
Often hard rubber reel like these have the name stamped but over time the impression pops back out. Use a piece of moist ( water) cloth material to wipe the reel's side plates.....as you do hold the reel at an angle to the light and you may see the name ever so slightly. I believe this was Montague's TARPON model.
If you don't see brassing on the reel then it's probably german silver. This reel will clean up nicely.....you should be able to bring the hard rubber back to black with patience and elbow grease. The german silver will polish up as well.

The other reel on this page is a Julius Vom Hofe , the clue is the small hole in the foot as almost all Julius Vom Hofes have this small hole.   A fisherman clamped the brass rings around the plates to keep the reel together. I doubt these were factory installed. The cool handle drag on this reel is a Readle drag, it was patented
Sept 4th,1923 by William Readle of San Bernardino, Cal. Sometime these are stamped pat. and sometimes with the full patent date.

All the patent date info that I write about can be found in Steve Vernon's book Antique Fishing Reels or Jim Brown's Fishing Reel Patents of the United States
1838-1940. Both of these books are classic even in this day of the internet.

thanks for allowing me to add my 25 cents worth.

Bill 

1badf350

-Chris

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
John Wayne as J.B. Books in "The Shootist"