Christmas Pancetta

Started by mikeysm, December 25, 2017, 12:40:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mikeysm

Here is my Pancetta that is ready for the Christmas holiday.

Mike

coastal_dan

Dan from Philadelphia...

Where Land Ends Life Begins...

STRIPER LOU

Man, that really looks great Mike! I can think of a bunch of recipes where that would go nicely.

................Lou

Bryan Young

OMG Mike. That looks faboulous!!!!
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

bluefish69

Mike

That looks as good as I get here in N.Y.

Mike

Next time put Red Pepper Flakes in it before you roll & tie it.
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

mikeysm

I have one more pork belly curing. I will add orange and lemon zest when I roll it. I plan on a very long cure so the fat will taste creamy. Black and red pepper right before I roll it.

Mike

Alto Mare

Mike, you're killing me over here :). I grew up with that stuff, we didn't buy sausages, prosciutto, pancetta and so on, we made our own.
That looks great, is any for sale?

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Bryan Young

Mike,

The Portuguese Sausage was not what I had expected....it was freakin delicious!!!  Not a Hawaiian Portuguese sausage flavor, but OMG, my mouth is watering just thinking about it.  We had them for Christmas Brunch with the family.  Thank you Mr. Meat Master!

Bryan
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

mikeysm

Bryan taste the other one I gave Alan. That more authentic Portuguese sausage. Sal if I sold my stuff it would be so expensive they wouldn't buy it. That's why the stores sell junk. The trick with Panchetta is a long cure and a long soak before it's rolled and hung to dry. Along with fresh herbs in the cure. If someone is flying your direction I can send something when they go. I took the skin off on this batch but traditionally the skin is left on.

Mike

Alto Mare

Quote from: mikeysm on December 27, 2017, 04:51:22 PM
Bryan taste the other one I gave Alan. That more authentic Portuguese sausage. Sal if I sold my stuff it would be so expensive they wouldn't buy it. That's why the stores sell junk. The trick with Panchetta is a long cure and a long soak before it's rolled and hung to dry. Along with fresh herbs in the cure. If someone is flying your direction I can send something when they go. I took the skin off on this batch but traditionally the skin is left on.

Mike
I thank you Mike, but I was not asking for you to send me some :), I thought you sold it. Yes if you take into consideration the time involved and the quality, you could not put a price on it.
My brother-in- law sent some pics this morning of his curing sausages, he makes the first batch with wild boar and pork belly mixed in.
I tried some about 10 years ago and were very tasty.
You must have a special room, pancetta take a while to cure, we only get 2 months here ...if lucky.

best. Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

mikeysm

Sal I have a curing chamber I bought. I can make what I want when i want. It even does the fermentation part. I have a fridge just for the curing stage. I have a couple of hot coppa in the chamber right now.

Mike

Bryan Young

Quote from: mikeysm on December 27, 2017, 04:51:22 PM

Mike
Mike,

I'll be headed over to Philadelphia in March if you want me to deliver a gift to Sal.

By the way, which is the other sausage?  There were some sausages cut long and the others cut shorter.  We had the shorter sausages.  I didn't realize the longer ones were different.

Bryan

Alto Mare

Quote from: mikeysm on December 27, 2017, 07:08:04 PM
Sal I have a curing chamber I bought. I can make what I want when i want. It even does the fermentation part. I have a fridge just for the curing stage. I have a couple of hot coppa in the chamber right now.

Mike

I thought so...very nice.
Quote from: Bryan Young on December 27, 2017, 07:12:41 PM
Mike,

I'll be headed over to Philadelphia in March if you want me to deliver a gift to Sal.

Bryan
Bri-Bri, did Tony get back to you about going over there? is it top secret? ;D

mikeysm

Bryan that might work i should be hanging the one I am curing soon. It would be ready by then. Alan didn't tell you that was the regular the Hawaiian is the longer ones. Thats why you said it didn't taste like it should. You need to try the longer one. Then you see it should taste like Hawaiian maybe even better.

Mike

David Hall

I'm googling curing chambers now, your making me hungry!