QUICK SUPER 270

Started by Alto Mare, December 28, 2017, 03:32:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alto Mare

Well, since it was 10 degree this morning outside and my heater never shot down, I decided to stay home and work on some reels instead.
I wasn't familiar with these reels,  10 years ago this gentleman down Jersey shore wanted me to try it so bad, but I never had interest, well until now.
I took Fred's advice to others about getting familiar before digging in the two speed.
Here is the 270:

sorry, pics appear to be a little out of focus, maybe I had some grease on the lens

pretty cool design, the drive gear and anti- reverse is assebled as a unit, very clever

the plate cover for the opposite side is also a clever idea, this allows you to install the handle on the left side or right side
I'm not sure if all the Dam Quick reels are assemble the same as these, the drive gear is held in place with a pin. Of course to remove it, that pin needs to be punched out. I'm not sure how Fred "the master" does his and I forgot to ask him.
I wasn't comfortable using a punch and a hammer, so I decided to use my press
positioning it just right, it took a second to remove it

use anything of the correct size, I used a dremel bit

and off it comes

the drive gear has 6 cutouts on the back side, those are there for the anti-reverse pin to ride on, the pin sits on a spring and it's shaped as a door latch...very effective

all  parts are off the reel, I didn't bother removing the handle knob, or shaft. I did remove the reel stand, but forgot to take a pic

I do want to mention that the ball bearing was crazy tight on the drive shaft, I decided to use my press on it as well

of course the press helps with removing and put back.
For those of you that don't have one, I highly recommend it, #50 will be money well spent, I use mine pretty often

and the reassembly

I decided to use Penn grease on this one, no particular reason, I really like that grease and don't use it often

not sure if all the 270's come with a shim that sits under the worm wheel, I wanted to mention it, if you don't see it, it might be caught on the gear and you could lose it

nice pin roller on these

drive gear and anti-reverse assembled and back it goes

the rotor

the spool shaft and bail

and this one is ready to fight again.

Taking a closer look at these Dam Quick reels has left me thinking why they're so cheap to purchase today.
Comparing this one to the 704Z it's very close in size and weight, the 270 is 1/2" longer and a little lighter, but not by much.
I like both reels mentioned here, but from what I've seen and taking everything in consideration, the 270 would give the 704Z a run for its money.
This reel is a Tank, I could see it would be very durable and easy to maintain. The reel is also extremely smooth for its size, to me smoother than the 704Z.

Best,

Sal

Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

bhale1

Sounds like Sal my soon have another addiction problem......as if being hooked on Crack wasn't bad enough ;D

Brett

foakes

Thanks for sharing your skills, Sal --

Nice and complete job on that tough old Super!

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Alto Mare

Fred, having you here in case parts or knowledge is needed, makes it that much easier :).
If these reels had better screws for the cover plates, it would be perfect. I wonder if we could find some in stainless, or maybe one of the guys could make us some.
the 3 plate screws are the only thing I'm not crazy about on these, I like everything else though.
Thanks for showing these to us Fred, I can't wait to fish with one.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

reelrepair123

hi  sal,   another great tutorial as usual, those reels are pretty tough and it's nice how you can make them either righty or lefty.  depending on the thread size, maybe a philister head screw or a allen head screw would work , there is plenty of space there where you wouldn't hit your knuckles on them. take care my friend, i hope this artic blast ends soon.  harryk

Tightlines667

Good tutorial Sal!

I like my arbor press too, and know it has more then paid for itself.

John
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Midway Tommy

Nice tutorial, Sal. That will come in quite handy for a lot of people down the road.  8)
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

Alto Mare

Thanks guys, now the only problem, me liking these quick will  make them multiply quickly :)

I purchase one from this gentleman, he was so nice and honest, I went back and grabbed the other 4 he had.
Not top shape, some have minor scrapes. I was even able to borrow a stand for my 2 speed that looked very nice. The one I had had some paint missing.

Stay warm, it's hitting 20 for the high here today

Sal

El Pescador

Quote from: Alto Mare on December 28, 2017, 07:44:37 PM

Stay warm, it's hitting 20 for the high here today

Sal

Sal,

Am staying warm here! It is 91 degrees & 95% humidity- we have been in Cartagena, Colombia for 2 days & my hope tonight is to find some 20 degree ice for my Gin & Tonic ;D

Hope you are all enjoying your time with family!

Wayne
Never let the skinny guys make the sandwiches!!  NEVER!!!!

Alto Mare

basto

I`m going to get one of these 270 reels Sal.  Your post will be very handy for me.
thanks
Greg
DAM Quick 3001      SHIMANO Spedmaster 3   Jigging Master PE5n

happyhooker

Well-crafted post, informative & great pics--thanks.

Frank

Alto Mare

Thanks guys! These are great reels, any upgrade that makes sense will be well worth it. I'm going to try to get some thinner heat treated ss washers, so we could squeeze a few more drag washers in there, it would be just what the doctor ordered.

Quote from: basto on December 28, 2017, 08:40:59 PM
I`m going to get one of these 270 reels Sal.  Your post will be very handy for me.
thanks
Greg
Greg, I know that you've been working on some SS models, these are a little easier to work on than those.
The only issue you might have is with removing the ball bearing. I used my press and got it done with ease, but I could tell you, from the squeaky sound it made on the way out, it is crazy tight on there.

Cheers,

Sal

swill88

Quote from: Alto Mare on December 28, 2017, 10:15:13 PM
Thanks guys! These are great reels, any upgrade that makes sense will be well worth it. I'm going to try to get some thinner heat treated ss washers, so we could squeeze a few more drag washers in there, it would be just what the doctor ordered.

Quote from: basto on December 28, 2017, 08:40:59 PM
thanks
Greg
Greg, I know that you've been working on some SS models, these are a little easier to work on than those.
The only issue you might have is with removing the ball bearing. I used my press and got it done with ease, but I could tell you, from the squeaky sound it made on the way out, it is crazy tight on there.

Cheers,

Sal

Great post Sal.  Thanks.

I sent a set of 270 drags to Adam a while back and he's cutting titanium thin washers and CF thin.
Could be ready soon is my guess.

Steve

Shark Hunter

Solid Work as Usual Sal. I have a few already.
It was 3 degrees yesterday and 7 this morning. I still have to go to work. >:(
It was about 25 in the plant. :P
I'm freezing my butt off!
Life is Good!