QUICK SUPER 270

Started by Alto Mare, December 28, 2017, 03:32:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

foakes

Hi Jeff —

Just drop a smooth on both sides — 1/8" thickness SS washer on top of the stack and under the drag knob.

This should be close to the same diameter as the bottom of the drag knob that compresses the stack.

That takes care of it with no reduction in your drag.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Rivverrat

Thanks Fred !    This is exactly what I've done. Most know I am fond of these reels. The Quick 5001 is another that I wont ever be with out. The 5001 is simply a Super Spinner with out the issues some early Penn Torque spinners & other heavy spinning reels experienced. No issue fishing 80 line.

Some take issue for what they sell for. They are heavy by to days standards. However they give me more performance for money spent than any other reel made today... This is a simple fact ... Jeff

oldmanjoe

Another thought  , the circle clip may be convenient to hold the stack in the spool  but not necessary, for that little tall stack !!!!
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

Rivverrat

Oldmanjoe, Yup I'm not using it. Thanks Joe ... Jeff

Rivverrat

With drag knob not touching the spool only the drag stack, the drag knob still turns with drag above 10lbs. Eventually breaking the line. I've been fishing the 270 with 30 line & low drag. Every 270 I've just tested turns the the drag know when fished above 10 lbs. of drag & line coming off spool.

Note this is happening with the stock drag & Motive Fabs drag kit. 10 different 270's did as  I describe. It is most noticeable when the drag heats up & expands. You will see the drag knob move a little at a time tightening up.

I'm clearly missing something ... Jeff

Midway Tommy

Have you checked the bottom of the spool and top of the click gear for rough spots, and the under spool washer ?

Now, here's some food for thought.   ???  Back when all these style/types of reels were manufactured and tested people seldom used over 20# test line. The line used back then was mainly mono, which was very inconsistent in diameter and had many weak areas. The general practice back then was to to set your drag just under the lowest line breaking strength, use a slow to moderate action rod and play the fish down to land it, not tighten the drag down and crank it like a wench. They were never designed for that much abuse and stress.

Not necessarily pertinent to your issue, Jeff, but your problem is the exact reason why I switched to fulcrum drag reels 50 years ago, abandoned all front drag designs and never looked back. That was the major curse, other than difficult tension adjustment while fight a big fish, back in the first couple of major spinning reel decades of use and design.     
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

Rivverrat

Hey Tommy !    Right now until some one shows different these reels in my mind aren't capable of fishing 30 line & above with fish that strip yards of line off.  Like I said I've lost 3 good fish using these reels .

Yes, I was aware reels from this era were fished with light line.

Rivverrat

Here is how high I have set the spool on the shaft.  Drag still goes tighter with line coming off spool.

Same thing when set lower with spool only contacting drag stack. Stainless washer below drag knob   & on clicker gear below spool. Drag at 15 lbs.

Keep in mind I have over 50 of these reels. Thinking a felt washer may correct this.
   I just pulled 10 of them. They all do the samet hing ... Jeff

oldmanjoe

Check the tongue on the  the washer , that it is not sloppy and slipping out of the groove   .   When it does slips from the groove ,it catches the thread and becomes a nut.
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

Rivverrat

Every piece of the drag stack is new. I did check nothing is popping out of place in the drag stack ... Jeff

oldmanjoe

???     Let`s see a picture of the drag set .     I can `t see how a nut can turn when sitting on top of a tongue washer .

Rivverrat

Quote from: oldmanjoe on February 08, 2021, 02:02:12 AM
  ???     Let`s see a picture of the drag set .     I can see how a nut can turn when sitting on top of a tongue washer .

Joe, I'll gladly get pics but understand I have others that do same . Benny's 270 is also doing it.  

oldmanjoe

You have the ear washers on top , switch the order .

Rivverrat

Joe I wondered about that. I'll give it a try & get back ... Jeff

Rivverrat

The eared washers dont fit & lay flat.... I have had enough for one night. Think I have 9 of these kits none of the eared washers fit right ... Jeff