QUICK SUPER 270

Started by Alto Mare, December 28, 2017, 03:32:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alto Mare

Quote from: Swami805 on December 31, 2017, 12:56:28 AM
After all the talk on these reels I can see the $ going up. Good time to look if you're thinking about it. I got a nice super (not the 2speed) for about $25 to my door, good condition too. That was awhile ago about the same time I got the 2speed. Heck of a reel,need to get it cleaned up. I'll look for the package the washers came in and see if I can find the# for those who don't have a press and need better washers. 
There might not be a need for you to look for those washers, Adam from Motive Fabrication is making some kits. His kits will usually include both washers.
On this particular reel he's using Titanium, you won't get better than that and his prices are always a good deal.

Yes, you are correct about the price going up, I did flush out a bunch that weren't available for sale prior to this thread...we are famous here :)
To the guys looking for these, we should all stay away from the high prices, if no one bites they will come back down.
I just picked up a Finessa for $18 shipped to me, didn't need it, but couldn't let it go at that price

Best,

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Swami805

I'm thinking Adam's drag kits will make it a whole new ball game, can't wait for some. That was just for the chronically impatient.
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Midway Tommy

Quote from: Alto Mare on December 31, 2017, 02:46:22 PM
Quote from: Swami805 on December 31, 2017, 12:56:28 AM
After all the talk on these reels I can see the $ going up. Good time to look if you're thinking about it. I got a nice super (not the 2speed) for about $25 to my door, good condition too. That was awhile ago about the same time I got the 2speed. Heck of a reel,need to get it cleaned up. I'll look for the package the washers came in and see if I can find the# for those who don't have a press and need better washers. 
There might not be a need for you to look for those washers, Adam from Motive Fabrication is making some kits. His kits will usually include both washers.
On this particular reel he's using Titanium, you won't get better than that and his prices are always a good deal.

Yes, you are correct about the price going up, I did flush out a bunch that weren't available for sale prior to this thread...we are famous here :)
To the guys looking for these, we should all stay away from the high prices, if no one bites they will come back down.
I just picked up a Finessa for $18 shipped to me, didn't need it, but couldn't let it go at that price

Best,

Sal

You are definitely onto something, Sal.  ;) I've only come across a couple of reels in all my days that I felt were worth paying elevated prices for. With a little patience, the price always seems to come back to normal. Patience is the key! Other than a limited few extremely rare reels, there will always be another, and keeping the price reasonable ensures you can turn it and at least get most of your investment back.   :) 
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

Chuck750ss

Noticed lately that Penn spinners are going thru a self correcting phase on eBay. Some exceptions. Such as a 450ss going as I type. Was guilty of paying too much for a reel recently. But it was my Xmas present to myself.

foakes

The market generally takes care of itself -- so it is hard to get hurt in the long or short run by paying too much for a great reel, IMO.

Conversely --  a rough reel can't be bought cheap enough -- since you can't pay too little for a rough reel.

If one does this for the investment or money value -- sometimes you may be disappointed if needed to buy or sell immediately.  But like Tommy sez -- patience.

Mitchell, starting with Carpano and Pons around 1939 -- manufactured their 10,000,000th reel about 1970.

From 70 to 72, production was ramped up to 12,000 reels a day.  The 20,000,000 mark was attained in 1972!

My point is -- There are plenty of reels out there.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Three se7ens

Quote from: Swami805 on December 31, 2017, 04:18:27 PM
I'm thinking Adam's drag kits will make it a whole new ball game, can't wait for some. That was just for the chronically impatient.

I should have them in my hands by the end of the week. 

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

Chuck750ss

Guy over Vintage Penn Reel FB page has a super for sale 20$ shipped. One end of foot broken. Looked good other than that.

PacRat

I saw this on youtube today. I haven't posted a video before so I'm just going to paste a link here and see what happens.
-Mike

Alto Mare

I've seen that video a while back, he does nice work.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Bill B

Just curious has anyone solved the commercial availability of CF washers for the 270?  Tore mine down last night and need to swap them out......Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Rivverrat

Hey fellas, needing help with this reel. I have several of them. A problem that has showed on several is the drag increasing with fish on.  3 times this last summer I lost decent fish on these reels because of the drag getting so tight it pops the line. The drag knob turns with fish taking line. This issue shows when running drag above 10 lbs.

Last time it happened it just about got the better of me... I almost launched it into the water I was fishing. I have Benny's 270 it's doing the same thing.  I will not fish these reels until I get this sorted. Help ! ... Jeff

oldmanjoe

The only way i can see this happening is that the key washer  "on top" is spinning on the shaft .
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

Rivverrat

Not possible with with out snapping off the tabs on the two washers that sit on top & bottom.  I believe I've just sorted it out. The drag knob on several of these reels I have is making contact with the spool.

Drag knob cannot contact anything other than the drag stack. As the drag is tightened drag stack compresses with the spool & drag knob making contact. The after market stack needs another washer or two.... Jeff

oldmanjoe

Got ye , i was thinking stock drag set up .   you can add some old parts to make the stack higher .    Is that the 5 stack you have now to make a 6 stack ?
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare