Fishing advice - Cape Coral

Started by Richardr, December 28, 2017, 07:28:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Richardr

Hello guys
On family holiday in Cape Coral. Have access to smaller boat, and the canal from the house connects to the Caloosahatchee River right at Tarpon Point Marina.
I've brought spinners 1000-4000 size (8-30lb Braid) and a Tyrnos 16II with 80 or 120lb Braid. Would love to catch snooks, tarpons and other river/inshore species, but most of all a shark. Also bottom fish are interesting. The reason for bringing the Tyrnos was for shark fishing. The fish do not have to be big, just bigger than the puffers I'm catching in the canals...
Any advice/directions highly appreciated.

BR
Richard

alantani

hopefully someone local will be able to help! 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

ReelFishingProblems

Richard,

I'm up in the Tampa area so I don't know any spots down in Fort Myers area.
There are some more folks from the area here that may have some ideas
On Facebook there is a group Tampa Bay Fishing Club. It's a pretty good group of folks that are always willing to help out. It can get rowdier than here though (the moderators do a pretty good job).

We're having a "cold snap" last time this happened i caught a decent size snook right on the beach. Guys next to me we're catching huge jack crevalle and another 42" snook

Nick

Richardr

Hello Nick and thanks for your reply.
I got some advice for the area from 360tuna.com . Early morning tomorrow and hopefully some bites later. Will let you know.
Thanks
Richard

steelhead_killer

Sanibel and Captiva Island.  One of my favorite beach fishing areas.  Lots of access and lots of fish.  The causeway between Fort Myers and Sanibel Island is very good too!  There is a bait shop right before you go through the toll booth on the right.  Stop in an get bait or go to the Fly Shop on Sanibel and have a chat!  Snook, Tarpon, Spanish Mac's, Redfish...

Andy
><)))">

Richardr

Quote from: steelhead_killer on December 30, 2017, 03:16:59 PM
Sanibel and Captiva Island.  One of my favorite beach fishing areas.  Lots of access and lots of fish.  The causeway between Fort Myers and Sanibel Island is very good too!  There is a bait shop right before you go through the toll booth on the right.  Stop in an get bait or go to the Fly Shop on Sanibel and have a chat!  Snook, Tarpon, Spanish Mac's, Redfish...

Andy

Hello Andy
We tried fishing the north east tip of Sanibel today without success. The wind came from the north and the anchor in the rental boat was no good so we couldn't get a grip. we were in approx 15-10feet of water. Tried bottom fishing with shrimp and squad and also had a shark rod baited with lady fish. Also threw spoons and jigs (shrimps). The only bites were small sand perch?...
Do you fish the inside of Sanibel and Captiva or do you fish the outside (south and west side) facing the ocean?

Thanks

steelhead_killer

I always fished near the lighthouse and the pier near it.  Also the north part of the island by the bridge the separates Captiva and Sanibel.  Lastly, we used to rent a boat and fish the channel by Lovers Key park. 

Good luck!

Andy
><)))">

Richardr

Too little time on the sea, boat not built for fishing and windy cold front... only small fish this time. Soon back home to Sweden and northern pike fishing in March.

Tight lines
/Richard