Adjustable Mag Kits - Updated 3/28/18

Started by xjchad, December 28, 2017, 09:56:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

farmer56

hey  thor        farmer here......  what  spool  would  you  magnet  ....  i  have  metal, aluminum , plastic  ....   do  you  feel  magnets  would  totally  counteract  the weight  of  a metal  spool...  or  are  we  chasing  our  tail   and  we  should  only  use  aluminum...farmer  out

fishhawk

swill88

Quote from: farmer56 on March 13, 2018, 01:54:58 PM
hey  thor        farmer here......  what  spool  would  you  magnet  ....  i  have  metal, aluminum , plastic  ....   do  you  feel  magnets  would  totally  counteract  the weight  of  a metal  spool...  or  are  we  chasing  our  tail   and  we  should  only  use  aluminum...farmer  out

That's a great question for an experiment to answer.

Steve

mo65

Quote from: swill88 on March 13, 2018, 02:52:27 PM
Quote from: farmer56 on March 13, 2018, 01:54:58 PM

That's a great question for an experiment to answer.

Steve

From my own magging experiments I've found bronzed chrome spools require more magnets to slow them. Being heavier they have more inertia. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

PacRat

Farmer,
In my opinion you will want to mag the aluminum spool. The magnet will have no affect on plastic and the heavier metal spool is easily thumbed as you would likely be tossing heavier weight with it. The main reason for magging is to increase casting distance without backlashing and typically your aluminum spool casts better because of its lighter start-up weight.
Mike

Swami805

Would there be any effect from magging a graphite spool if the clicker gear is metal or would it the gear not have enough mass?  Might try it on a Newell and see what happens
Do what you can with that you have where you are

xjchad

I agree with Mo and Mike.
I think it's really only worth using with an aluminum spool. 
It won't work on the plastic or graphite, and not worth it on the metal since there needs to be a lot more magnet to have an affect.
Plus, this mod is kind a performance part like many of the other upgrades.  In most cases, if you're hot rodding a reel, you'd want the aluminum spool anyway.
Chad
Husband, Father, Fisherman

farmer56

thats  exactly what  i  thought  .....  but  had  to  ask   ..chad  i  P M  you  the  tracking  #  farmer  out

Swami805

I was thinking of a 220 Newell. Small spool and side plates and a pretty big clicker gear for its size. I have a couple side plates laying around anyway. If it doesn't work I can put an aluminum spool in it
Do what you can with that you have where you are

xjchad

Quote from: Swami805 on March 13, 2018, 04:47:55 PM
I was thinking of a 220 Newell. Small spool and side plates and a pretty big clicker gear for its size. I have a couple side plates laying around anyway. If it doesn't work I can put an aluminum spool in it

That senario may work Sheridan.  Looking forward to hearing your results!

thorhammer

Farmer you have your answer on aluminum. 

Chad, have you done this to a Squidder plate. IMO a 145 with your mag, frame and carbontex with a 24-66 flat handle is a serious surf weapon for NC drum at long range. Typically I throw 25lb mono and there's just not much left on a 100 or 146 after the heave, and the retrieve is already slow enough without being on the arbor after a run.  The Squidder ruled the roost for fifty years and will still get it done now. 

I probably have an extra plate if you want to mess with it. 

John

Alto Mare

Quote from: thorhammer on March 13, 2018, 06:27:08 PM

Chad, have you done this to a Squidder plate. IMO a 145 with your mag, frame and carbontex with a 24-66 flat handle is a serious surf weapon for NC drum at long range. Typically I throw 25lb mono and there's just not much left on a 100 or 146 after the heave, and the retrieve is already slow enough without being on the arbor after a run.  The Squidder ruled the roost for fifty years and will still get it done now. 

John
Yes sir! The Squidder is a better candidate, but you already know I don't follow rules😁.
I chose the Surfmaster for my project in case I wanted to use it underwater😉😁
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

xjchad

Quote from: thorhammer on March 13, 2018, 06:27:08 PM

John

John,
I have not done a Squidder yet.  If you have an extra tail plate, I'd love to see it!
Thanks!

thorhammer

I've opened my mouth about my wishful thinking before confirming there is indeed a 24-145L to play with...

If anyone knows where to get one I'm in. 

Sal, My hotrod 100 and 150 will get mag

fishhawk

PM your addy and I will get it out tomorrow.
Mark