Jigmaster 500

Started by sharkman, January 29, 2018, 05:39:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sharkman

Bought a jigmaster at flea market. Opened it up looks like steel gears, bridge, eccentric cam and lever but had a plastic spool. I haven't opened up but one other jigmaster. Are the steel parts normal.

alantani

yes, it's stock.  you'll need a new drag set and hopefully someone here will have an aluminum spool for you as well!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

basto

I think the eccentric cam, jack and bridge are chromed brass.
DAM Quick 3001      SHIMANO Spedmaster 3   Jigging Master PE5n

thorhammer

Score! Those are the best stock guts you can get, IMO. That reel is def worth an aluminum spool as the boss says. Those burgundy ones are pushing fifty years old or more. pop in some carbontex washers and go another fitty....

basto

Yes, they made the locking posts on those better too. Not like the pressed out bumps on the later ones.
DAM Quick 3001      SHIMANO Spedmaster 3   Jigging Master PE5n

thorhammer

Keta

If you fill the "plastic" spool most of the way with Dacron or Spectra it will work.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

JRD

If you look really close you'll see someone has changed the eccentric jack  to a Chinese made 11-99 stainless.  I would change that to a period piece which was likely the chromed brass closed hole style which is much stronger.

http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=23594.msg261512#msg261512