What are you going to spool your T4N1 reel with ?

Started by CooldadE, December 29, 2017, 01:51:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CooldadE

I'm looking to get some feedback from those who like me have purchased a T4N1 kit. How are you going to set up your reel and what rods are going to be used ? What fish are going to be targeted?

Cool
I would rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6...

Swami805

I'm going to use a super seeker 80xh 80lb braid with a short 60lb mono. Just got done building it. Great blank should match well with that reel.
Do what you can with that you have where you are

CooldadE

I would rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6...

Keta

If I did not end up with a 2500 yard spool of solid JB 50#, due to minor confusion between Jerry and me, I would fill mine with solid JB 60#.  I plan on using this reel for shallow/mid depth lingcod and bottomfish.  Our halibut are usualy too deep for this reel but that's what my 349H reels are for.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Swami805

Throwing heavy iron and flyling big baits. Big home guard yellowtail season starts soon or anytime I need to throw a big bait

STRIPER LOU

Swami805

These reels will be quite an investment once the side plates and all the internals are figured in. Be a shame to fish them on a store bought  rod. Hoping many of you look up a well respected rod builder and have something specific made to fit these. To those who build their own time to pull out all the stops. With all the quality blanks and components available today a rod built for this specific reel suited to your fishery would be a wise investment. We're the lucky few that will own these, getting a rod personally fit to you maybe colors to match the reel would be a decision you won't regret. Not bashing off the rack rods but a custom built rod seems only fitting. Just my 2 cents.

jigmaster501

80lb braid with 60 topshot for tuna jigging and deepwater wreck fishing/ oodfishing. It is narrow enough and light enough to fish with bottom fishing. It will be fun.

Building a rod to go with this reel in a few weeks. Will be a deadly combo.

Swami805

Man after my own heart 501, What do you have in mind?

jigmaster501

Swami,

I picked up an imported blank similar to an Ugly Stick blank at a flea market. It was 15 dollars and I figured why not get it and see what I could do with it.

When I laid it out and put pressure on it, I couldn't believe how lucky I was.

The rod will be close to 8ft and has tons of power. I am using Dbluefishing SiC guides with an aluminum Pac Bay reel seat. My grips are all cord now and I lay them in a bed of epoxy. Sensitivity, durability and ease to install.

Swami805

Sounds like you scored 501. If want want to save some hassle use that old school electrcal tape on the blank, the kind that kind of sticks to itself for the cord. Your cord won't move and it's a breeze to change it when it wears. I'm not a cord guy myself but build quite a few with cord. Saves a bunch of time and mess. Sounds like the right stick for the job
If you post a few pics of the glass and the butt end might be able to ID the blank for you. Sounds lie a nice blank.

Smols

Just curious, what blanks are you guys planning to use for jigging with the T4N1 4/0. I have strapped mine onto an old 6.5" Fenwick that works well, but is not the prettiest girl at the dance. I may be in the market for a new rod for this sweet little narrow reel.

Smols