Illegally harvesting striped bass lands commercial angler in hot water

Started by ez2cdave, December 29, 2017, 06:50:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alto Mare

If we had best line of the day, this one would be it ;)

Do the right thing. Work hard, pay your taxes and enjoy life the best you can, without having to look over your shoulder.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

swill88

Quote from: Alto Mare on January 08, 2018, 01:27:36 AM

Do the right thing. Work hard, pay your taxes and enjoy life the best you can, without having to look over your shoulder.

Sal

'Line of the month' award?

Steve

Dominick

Quote from: Alto Mare on January 08, 2018, 01:27:36 AM

Sal

Salvatore, professore di psicologia.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

eric

A very interesting read.

Do you have 'proceeds of crime' legislation in the USA like here in Oz? That is what really hurts the crims....a hold placed on all financial accounts, with property, cars, motor cycles and jet skis seized and sold off.

The article says the the tax evasion happened between 2010-14. If applicable, I hope LE would check to see if he used any of the money to make mortgage repayments, buy vehicles etc.

boon

Quote from: eric on January 08, 2018, 09:01:39 AM
Do you have 'proceeds of crime' legislation in the USA like here in Oz? That is what really hurts the crims....a hold placed on all financial accounts, with property, cars, motor cycles and jet skis seized and sold off.

That has recently been introduced here in NZ; if any assets are even vaguely tainted by illegitimate income they seize it. Mainly proceeds of drug crime at the moment, but you see big dealers losing their house, cars, motorbikes... all sorts.

Reel 224

Good thing he go caught. Now lets see more of that action! Wonder how it will end up.

Joe
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

Benni3

Live right,,,do the right things and still look over you shoulder  ;D

Swami805

We do have asset forfiture laws in the US. They can be very harsh too. It's separate from a criminal case and the "bar" is much lower legally so they can take your assets without ever convicting you of a crime. Tax fraud is no joke too and likely used that since the illegal fishing part alone would likely result in a fine and probation. Hope it sends a message. That kind of thing is hard to police too,takes a lot of manpower to keep an eye on the resources and that is in short supply.
Safe bet all on this board follow the laws and rules but not a bad idea if you see something sketchy going on to at least speak up. Maybe it's just ignorance sometimes but there are those who knowingly take advantage without fear of getting caught because Wardens are spread so thin. We have Caltip in California, and they do follow up when you call. I think We all need to take a little responsibilty not only for our actions but to get guys like this. I'd bet that they were a bunch of people knew this guy was doing this and just turned a blind eye to it.
I fish our local pier quite a bit and go at 3 in the AM to try and hoop up a couple lobsters. I've seen guys with a bucket of shorts walking down the pier and I call and I tell them I'm calling even if they throw them back. They absolutely know what they're doing and I just don't want them coming back. The wardens show up and can't do much without the lobsters and the guys are long gone by then but they tell me to keep calling anyway. It ain't much but at least it's something and that kind of crap just gets under my skin.
Rant over, Sheridan
Do what you can with that you have where you are

alantani

gentlemen, we all know what's right and wrong.  i'm not really sure posts like this have a place here.  they're not bad, per se, but i for one am a little tired of the excess drama lately and this is not helping.  unless there are other concerns, i would like to discourage posts like this.  in general, i am happy to discuss problems within the context of finding a solution.  if there is no solution in the offing, i am generally not interested in discussing the problem just for the sake of discussion.
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!