Penn 210 - cut down

Started by mhc, December 31, 2017, 01:40:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shark Hunter

Very Nice Mike.
You are a Magician. ;)
Life is Good!

ReelFishingProblems

You are an extremely gifted creator. The step by step photos of your process hide the immeasurable patience you most certainly have.

What's the lead time on one of these if one were to order? Kidding of course

Nick

mo65

A 210 the size of a 146 Squidder is a very usable package...this is a winner Mike! 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

mhc

Thanks guys,
Sal there's no special skills, or magic Daron, I'm just lucky to have the time to follow through with a few ideas. Thanks Nick, I'd like to be able to make a few of these and the 10 but I'd need to find a quicker way  :) 
Mo, I thought you would like it - I'll put another dog on the bridge and I've got a set of 5:1 Newell jigmaster gears set aside to finish it off.

Mike

It can't be too difficult - a lot of people do it.

Alto Mare

Quote from: mhc on January 17, 2018, 10:23:16 AM
Thanks guys,
Sal there's no special skills, or magic Daron

Mike

Mike, although I have always agreed with you on whatever you've said or done in the past, I disagree on this comment ;D

Thanks for everything you do here and especially for taking us along ;)

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

oc1

It's stunning Mike.  The heft and lines and satin finish all make a stock Penn look sort of rinky-dink by comparison.
-steve

mhc

I've given the side plates another, hopefully last, application of carbon - epoxy mix today, and made an eccentric lever.
The plates were cut down where the eccentric rests so I need a slightly shorter (~ 2 mm) lever to maintain the same arc of movement.
Stock 210 levers are bent to follow the curved profile of the plate;

I've liked the idea of wider levers that Ted (Maxed Out) started and Chris (Rothmar2) made for his jigmaster project, so I thought I would try making a tapered lever out of 6mm 316 SS instead of a bent lever. The first step was to mark and drill the hole for the center of the eccentric hole and drill and tap the hole for the stop;

Next was to file a step to match the depth of the bend in the stock lever;

Then file a step on the opposite side of the blank to make a ~ 2 mm thick tab where the lever attaches to the eccentric;

File the taper between the tab and where the stop attaches;

and check the taper on the side plate;

A view of the taper with the stock lever;

I was thinking simple straight lines and trimmed the blank to a basic wedge shape;

No photo on the plate, but the straight wedge looked pretty bulky so I decided to drill a couple of holes and soften the edges, I didn't get many photos of the process but the file marks on the first photo give an idea of how it was done;

Next up is the bridge.

Mike

Donnyboat

Nice work Mike, you are a gifted man, & as Sal said, thanks for taking us along, very interesting, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

Rothmar2

There will never be another clutch lever to match this one, brilliant!

basto

Hi Mike
You would have been a brilliant jeweller.
Greg
DAM Quick 3001      SHIMANO Spedmaster 3   Jigging Master PE5n

wailua boy

Impressive work and bordering on mind blowing...

mhc

Thanks guys, I'm happy with how it turned out but it was a bit accidental and over the top in the end. The taper to replace the bend in the stock lever was intentional but the rest sort of happened as I went - for example the oblong hole was the result of making an off-center drill hole symmetrical with a needle file.  :-[

Mike

Alto Mare

Quote from: Rothmar2 on February 03, 2018, 08:43:35 PM
There will never be another clutch lever to match this one, brilliant!
Yep! I agree Chris. I always enjoy seeing how parts evolve from a piece of metal scrap.
You two are amazing.
Another fine job Mike!...I love it!

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

Rivverrat

I applaud your desire to do this but much more to see it through. One thing that intrigues me most regarding the old generation Penn reels is that most of the parts like guns take the Colt Single Action Army for instance or even the 1911... the parts can be be fashioned with simple hand tools.

You are a an asset to this site & your actions here represent, to a great level, the driving force & desire that resides within many of us that come here... Jeff