Penn 210 - cut down

Started by mhc, December 31, 2017, 01:40:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mhc

Stuff has been getting in the way but I've been chipping away at this reel, doing bits and pieces when I get time.

I've double dogged the bridge as usual, only this time I used a weird wire spring made from 95 lb trace wire;

The wire spring works well with the under gear washer in place - without the washer it flips the dog off first click.  ;D
I had mentioned earlier I had a Newell 5:1 jigmaster gear set for this project - I had forgotten that set is currently sitting in one of my jigmasters. Sometime back Joe (Decker) was asking if a 5:1 jigmaster 505 gear set would fit in a 210, so I thought I would give it a go on this one. As discussed at the time, the 5-505 main is a bit taller than the 5-500 main gears and you will need to either modify the side plate or grind down the raised lip on the gear. I opted to grind the gear.

Stock 5-505;

I wasn't sure how much it needed to be ground down so I did it a few steps, checking as I went;

With a bit over 1 mm left on the lip it was still rubbing slightly - I used a marking penn to check where it was touching;

It ended up with about 0.6 mm of the lip left;

The clicker button was drilled out while working on the side plates. I decided on a lower profile seaboy 190 clicker as a replacement with the original clicker tongue;

The 190 button is slightly shorter than the stock button, I had to grind a bit off of the tongue to fit the C clip on;

With a bit of luck, I should be able to finish assembling it soon.

Mike

It can't be too difficult - a lot of people do it.

mo65

She's coming along fantastic Mike. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

mhc

Thanks Mo - but hold the press with the 505 gear set, I don't think it will work.
I had checked the spool fitting of the pinion gear I had in a bag with the 5-505 and it was fine;

Turns out it is a newell pinion I had left over when I swapped a Newell main for a 506 main. It's slightly (~0.3 mm) higher than a 500 or 505 pinion with a thicker ring. Not sure if it's the height or the ring but it didn't sit well in the side plate.

Newell pinion on the right;

I then tried a real 505 pinion, it was a good fit on the shaft but the slot didn't fit the shoulder on the spool shaft;

I thought about taking the ring off and filing the slot wider, but there isn't much metal to work with;

I put the 505 gears aside and put the stock 4:1 gear set out of the 210 in for now. To get to a 5:1 ratio later I'll either use the Newell 5:1 jigmaster gear set that's in a jigmaster at the moment or buy another set of Pro Challenger 5:1 gears.

Mike

mhc

The 210 Cut Down is ready for spooling;

With jigmaster gears, I would like to call it a home made magnum squidder - but it doesn't have any squidder parts.  ::) ;D It has bearings, and the spool is the same size as a squidder 145 (diameter and width) but that is about all it has in common with a 145 so I'll just call it a 210 - cut down.

Mike

Rothmar2

How about "Mack-daddy 210 CD"?

Absolutely amazing work both of these conversions have been. Looking forward to what you have planned as your next major surgery project. Hope you can knock over some fish with it. PC SS 5:1 gears with a 5+1 drag kit is going to make a tough package.

Alto Mare

Mike, did Penn give you ma ring yet? ;D Little by little you're building an amazing collection of reels that no one should own, well except you of course.
Those belong in a museum.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Donnyboat

Yes Mike I agree with Sal, thanks for edgamecating us, & keeping us entertained, great work man, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

JRD

Waiting for the 5 to 1 upgrade.  I tried the same thing in my 210 but ran into the pinion problem too.  Mine works without the collar on the pinion but I'm afraid it may spread the pinion under load.

STRIPER LOU

Sweet Mike! Its a cut down beauty. Ya just keep gettin better!

Nice work,  ..  Lou

mhc

Quote from: JRD on February 25, 2018, 05:45:05 PM
Waiting for the 5 to 1 upgrade. 

I pulled a set of Pro Challenger 5:1 out of a jigmaster to try in the 210.

The PC gears on the left - they still have some grease and black dust from the drags;

The PC main fits the gear cavity;

The PC pinion didn't slide over the shoulder on the aluminium spool at first. I checked the measurements of the slot in the pinion and the ID of the ring and it was very close to the stock 13-140 pinion so I tried it on the stainless spool and it fit OK. I went back to the Al spool and pushed it a bit and it sort of clicked on and felt OK once it was on. Being a new spool I tried sanding all the sharp edges on the shaft shoulder and it eventually fit well - there must have been a slight burr or something.

The PC gears seem work well - going into and out of gear without any problem. I spooled the reel manually with the PC gears and then did a low stress test winching a 2 liter (~4 lb) water bottle vertically over a rod. The gears held up fine but if I was going to do that sort of winching often I would go back to 4:1. Either way it needs a bigger handle, stainless yoke, sleeve and dogs if I'm going to use the PC gears to their potential;

Mike

ez2cdave

Incredible work . . . Truly amazing !

Tight Lines !

oc1

Thank you for bringing that back up Dave.  It's humbling.