Shakespeare 2052 Disassembly With more to come

Started by The Fishing Hobby, April 27, 2017, 03:04:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

happyhooker

Gotcha, Tommy.  The Fishing Hobby sez he has seen 3 types of handle.  Maybe #3 was a non-authorized replacement handle.

When you say "folding handle", you're talking about one that allows the finger pad to be rotated 180 degrees so space can be saved when packing?  Like the ones on early Mitchell 300s?

Frank

Midway Tommy

Quote from: happyhooker on December 07, 2017, 10:16:20 PM
Gotcha, Tommy.  The Fishing Hobby sez he has seen 3 types of handle.  Maybe #3 was a non-authorized replacement handle.

When you say "folding handle", you're talking about one that allows the finger pad to be rotated 180 degrees so space can be saved when packing?  Like the ones on early Mitchell 300s?

Frank

Yes, rotating is much more accurate but most people just call them folding like all the rest of the collapsibles.

I have no idea what the 3rd example might be. I would like to see an example, though. It's got my curiosity going.   
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

The Fishing Hobby

The 3 types I have seen were the all black rotating handles which are brass, and aluminum rotating handle and a one piece black handle. The 2062 I have owned with the aluminum handle and the one piece (sold the one piece). The 2052 has the brass (it was painted black) handle.

Grey Ghost

Great videos, question? Do the letters on the reels just indicate what year? "DC" "EE"  etc.

foakes

Quote from: Grey Ghost on January 27, 2018, 02:33:08 PM
Great videos, question? Do the letters on the reels just indicate what year? "DC" "EE"  etc.

The code indicates when that reel first started production — not necessarily the year of actual manufacturing.

As an example, a reel may carry a code indicating 1956 — however, every subsequent reel for the next nine years would have the same code.

Here is the chart—

Best,

Fred

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

The Fishing Hobby

I missed the question sorry but I didn't have an answer but I'm am also thankful for the chart!!!

Midway Tommy

The big thing to remember, as Fred alluded to, is that the 2 letter code on Shakespeare reels refers to the date the model was first produced, or later, some sort of change was made to that model. As an example, an early 2062 was EF (1965), there was a minor change in production, plastic spool, in 1968, i.e. the EC stamp, and in 1970 they changed again, to the one piece handle, i.e. DA stamp. This holds true through all of the various Shakespeare reel models, beginning in 1931, that have the 2 letter stamping.     
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)