UPDATE: Spinfisher V 9500 vs. 9500ss

Started by xjchad, December 31, 2017, 10:51:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

xjchad

Hey guys,
I've been using a Spinfisher V 6500LL for long rodding and really need more capacity.  I want to run a full spool of 80# braid and I'm looking at the Spinfisher V 10500 or possibly and older 9500ss.  I like the idea of the old school 9500ss, but I'm thinking the 10500 will probably cast better.
What are your thoughts?
Any other options I should be looking at?
Thanks!
Chad
Husband, Father, Fisherman

handi2

I would get the newer reel. It is more stout and I will get a spanking for saying so.

It is sealed very well but not meant for under water.

Have you looked at the new Slammer III series? I have been through 3 of them and own the 6500. Its a beast. These reels were made to last like they used to be and much more sealed than the "water resistant " SSV.

On the SSVLL series I have seen many, many, where the LL function quits working and has water inside. The parts are cheap to replace but too m,any shave this problem.

OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

xjchad

I ended up ordering an 8500LL.
Kinda by accident. I hit the order now button cuz it said it would show me the low price.
Ended up not being able to get out of it at that point. Oh well, the price was good at least, and I really wanted a baitfeeder option.

mrwilson99

I have the Spinfisher 7500 and 8500 and no issues so far, but Keith knows what he is talking about.
David

xjchad

Dang, now I'm seriously looking at the Fin Nor Lethal 100!

Shark Hunter

I think ,you made a good choice Chad. The 10,500 is a Giant.
I have fished the 9500s the past few years.
I can get a lot more distance out of a 550ssg.
I run straight 20lb mono on that reel and cast it way out there with a 2 ounce popper.
Life is Good!

xjchad

Ok so here's another UPDATE:
I guess for some reason the 8500LL order did not go through like I thought, but I did order an SSV9500 for a great deal!
On top of that, my offer for a sweet 9500ss was accepted and shipped too!  :o

So now I'll be deciding whether the SSV9500 or the 9500ss will replace my 6500LL as my new shark/ray reel.

I'll have it on a Penn Prevail 12' heavy rod throwing 8nbait.
Probably spool it with 80# braid.

Any advice???  :)

mrwilson99

My advise might not be the popular answer, but I would only fish larger fish on a convention reel :)
David

xjchad

Quote from: mrwilson99 on January 02, 2018, 07:24:47 PM
My advise might not be the popular answer, but I would only fish larger fish on a convention reel :)

I have a Sealine 50 that I use for bigger fish.  This set up is for 5-8' Sevengills, Soupfins, and Bat Rays.

handi2

If you want to get the maximum casting distance with the spinning reel invest in some of the new Power Pro Maxquatro braided line. Its much thinner than the regular or 8 strand.

I use the 20lb test on my inshore 2500 size spinning reels. I can cast about 20 feet further using a 1/2 ounce lure.

It does cost more...

http://www.powerpro.com/content/powerpro-north-america/en/home/products/maxcuatro.html
Gulf Breeze, FL

xjchad

Thanks Keith, I'll check that stuff out!

xjchad

Received the 9500SS yesterday. Sal said I got a good one  ;D
Brass gears and Already has the drag upgrade. Got some other goodies on the way and it will get spooled with 80# braid. The SSV9500 will be here next week, but I'm pretty sure it will be back up for sale right away  ;)

Captain64-200

Good catch sir !

I've fished my 8500 SS from the same gen as yours  (  every month I was stayin' 5 days in Gabon west africa for"work"  :P,  during 10 years )

caught a lot of medium sized fishes  ( cubera snapper ,jacks ,barracudas up to 30lbs  )

the clicker and the anti reverse broke ,2 times on a nice tarpon and on "i don't know what"  kind of big fish  , at the hookset .

except that ,no problems ...
Fred from Biarritz ,

handi2

Do you remember me telling you to look under the spool and if you see gold its the latest drag system available. You did good! I have 3 of them now just because.

The 9500SS has one drag surface under the spool and one up top. I wouldn't even count the one up top.

The SSV has 3 drag surfaces under the spool and the one up top. That's the difference in the drag numbers.
Gulf Breeze, FL

Alto Mare

Quote from: handi2 on January 06, 2018, 11:33:05 PM
Do you remember me telling you to look under the spool and if you see gold its the latest drag system available. You did good! I have 3 of them now just because.

The 9500SS has one drag surface under the spool and one up top. I wouldn't even count the one up top.

The SSV has 3 drag surfaces under the spool and the one up top. That's the difference in the drag numbers.
If you look closely under the hood, it should really be the other way around, that SSV would be much better off. :)

Chad, the parts should get to you by Monday or Tuesday.

Sal

Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.