Part 3 of 4

Started by STRIPER LOU, January 01, 2018, 01:17:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

STRIPER LOU

The Old School Star was the 1st of 4 parts, then Alan T's modified handle, and now the Big Momma knob is 3rd in line.

I do make a few large knobs from time to time but mostly avoid it, as once you get over an inch and a half, the material price goes thru the roof. I'm even finding out that pouring your own saves nothing and can actually add cost as time is taken away from other jobs. It does however give you the ability to create a unique color and something that cant be found elsewhere  if the customer so desires.

I've seen many variations of this design and I believe Accurate may have had the original.

Trying to take this up a notch or two, this one is quite different and of course we started with the Acrylic material. This is a big knob and almost 2 1/8" dia. x 1 1/8" wide and can be made up too 2 1/2 od. To my knowledge,  I know of nothing available anywhere in this size category. The spinner tube is oversize at .5 and the flanged end of the shaft is a full 5/8". Screw sizes range for 12-24 to 1/4-28.
Overall its a pretty stout piece.

Most of the original counterparts were aluminum with 7 or 8 thru holes to both add some character and lighten the knob. Although the Acrylic is very strong,  ...  its not aluminum. So instead of thru holes (lightening not necessary), I opted to go .25 deep with a ball mill. This helps keep the integrity of the knob and the fact that there are no sharp corners, eliminates the possibility of any stress cracking under extreme loads.

Probably a bit carried away but in addition to the high outer polish, the 8 reliefs have also gotten the Midas touch.

Part 4 will be a shift arm to match the star. It will be the same configuration with the back raked angle and 3 hole pattern. Unfortunately it will be a while as the mill is backed up at the moment with other work.

I originally had a reel all planed for these parts but when the T4NI came out I new exactly where they were going.
These parts and possibly a few more will be on my new Alan Tani Special.

A big thank you to Randy for spearheading that project and of course a special thanks to Alan, ... without him, none of us would be here!

If you check the reply to this post you'll see where the red/orange mark comes from on some of the knob pics. It did have me puzzled for a minute as all assemblies get a final inspection under 3X. Never a dull moment!

All have a great evening,  ..  Lou

STRIPER LOU

Culprit!

Bill B

Simply incredible Lou.....Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Tightlines667

Beautiful pieces there!

I love that green-marble color.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

foakes

Stunning, Lou --

Tough to see how your skills can get any better -- but you do manage it every time!

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Swami805

Incredible, love the color, I' thinking you got a green frame? Would look great on black of silver too.
Do what you can with that you have where you are

oc1

I don't usually go in for the glitzy stuff, but that is REALLY glitzy Lou.  You do such nice work.
-steve

David Hall

You just keep pushing the envelope.  Spectabulous Lou!

mhc

Your attention to detail is 2nd to none Lou, I'm always amazed at the finish you get on both the acrylic and the stainless parts. Thanks for showing us.

Mike
It can't be too difficult - a lot of people do it.

Alto Mare

Beautiful Lou! ... you couldn't find these custom parts anywhere but here...good job!

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

broadway

Impressive, Lou!
I love that large ball handle and the sweet hole patterns on all the parts.  I bet it lessens the load a bit while looking sexy as can be.
Your a master at your craft,
Dom

Captain64-200

How can you fish with those wonders ?  beautiful work ... :)
Fred from Biarritz ,

Rivverrat

Lou, I really like your handles. But I think they would get scratched up pretty bad. I keep my reels looking great & pretty much scratch free. But the handles on my reels take a beating. Most likely from no prtection from my reel covers while in the truck & riding in the boat... Jeff

Maxed Out

Quote from: Rivverrat on July 07, 2018, 04:20:57 AM
Lou, I really like your handles. But I think they would get scratched up pretty bad. I keep my reels looking great & pretty much scratch free. But the handles on my reels take a beating. Most likely from no prtection from my reel covers while in the truck & riding in the boat... Jeff

Go to "baby" section at local department store and buy a few pairs of baby socks...rubber band will keep it from falling off

Ted
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!