Record Marlin

Started by Donnyboat, January 02, 2018, 12:48:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Donnyboat

Hi everyone, news report today, Exmouth Western Australia, there was a record marlin court, 494Kg, the last day or two, I am not sure of the gear used or how long, it took to land it, they have sent the line away to be tested, before it can be ratified as a record, they only kill the very large marlin, close to the record size to be weighed, the fish is then sent to the Perth museum for scientific research, I will follow up with more details as soon as I get them, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

mhc

Impressive fish Don, that's a 'grander' in old speak (1089 lb).

Mike
It can't be too difficult - a lot of people do it.

ChileRelleno

Ragnar Benson:
"Never, under any circumstances, ever become a refugee.
Die if you must, but die on your home turf with your face to the wind, not in some stinking hellhole 2,000 kilometers away, among people you neither know nor care about."

exp2000

https://thewest.com.au/news/fishing/record-breaking-494kg-blue-marlin-caught-in-exmouth-ng-b88703937z

I wonder if there are more surprises in store for the remote town of Exmouth? The continental shelf takes a very wide berth of the north west Australian coast but cuts inland when it reaches Exmouth latitudes. You only have to travel a few miles offshore there to sound hundreds of meters of water so the town is a Mecca for diehard fishermen.
~

conchydong

Nice fish. At first reading I thought it was the world record but now I see that it is a national record for a Pacific Blue. I would guess that an Aussie Black Marlin has been caught that exceeded that weight.
Either way it is a nice one. I hope that it was utilized for food as well as research.

Swami805

I must admit some ignorance of Australia but I saw a TV show where they where fishing for marlin from shore on some rocky bluffs. They would keep live bait in kiddie pools and float the bait out in the current to a deep trofe offshore. It's that the same area where they find these Marlin? Is that the one you're reffering too?
MY bucket list includes spending a few months there when I retire in a few years. Must be a great place to live.
Do what you can with that you have where you are

exp2000

Quote from: Swami805 on January 03, 2018, 05:37:10 AM
I must admit some ignorance of Australia but I saw a TV show where they where fishing for marlin from shore on some rocky bluffs. They would keep live bait in kiddie pools and float the bait out in the current to a deep trofe offshore. It's that the same area where they find these Marlin? Is that the one you're reffering too?
MY bucket list includes spending a few months there when I retire in a few years. Must be a great place to live.

You are referring to the seasonal marlin migration into Jervis bay. I can identify with your passion to participate in this land based fishery.

But the marlin in question was way larger than any Sydney rock trophy and was caught on the central Western coastline thousand of miles away.
~

Donnyboat

exp2000, thanks for your back up on this post of mine, good to see you managed to post the photo of it, also Exmouth is on the most North West point of Western Australia, about 8 or 9 hundred miles north of Perth, yes the continental shelf does get close to the coast in that area, but it is a fair trip by boat around there, from Exmouth, They also have a boat ramp on that side of the coast, but the cyclones wash it out every few years, & maybe there is a couple of charter boats anchor there, not sure I think 1 of the boats that anchor there, is for the swim with whale sharks, the whale sharks come in side the Ningaloo reef, many tourist pay to swim with them , they have plane looking out for them & reporting to the boat of there location,, also about 250 miles South of Exmouth, a place called Quoba, that has high cliffs, with quite deep water, many fisho`s balloon fish there, mostly for mackerel,
Don, or donnyboat