Pro Gear 251 Handle Replacement?

Started by mrwilson99, January 05, 2018, 02:31:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mrwilson99

Hi,

I just acquired a Pro Gear 251 and wanted to know if there are replacement handles for this reel? I hate counter balanced handles. Any suggestions or guidance is appreciated.

Thanks!

David
David

MarkT

It should take any handle for a Jigmaster. Including the aftermarket ones offered by some here.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

Vintage Offshore Tackle

David, if you might like an affordable old-school handle with a comfortable oversized knob, I have a 3 position adjustable Penn 24-56 handle that I can deliver to you for $24 including shipping by USPS first class parcel, similar to the one in the photo below.   Please let me know if that works for you.  If so, I will send you some photos of the actual handle.

I also have brand new Tiburon T-bar lite handles for $45 (see photos), Accurate power handles, and a whole slug of other aftermarket stuff, if you or anyone else might be interested.

Thanks,

Randy

Black Pearl

Quote from: mrwilson99 on January 05, 2018, 02:31:08 AM
Hi,

I just acquired a Pro Gear 251 and wanted to know if there are replacement handles for this reel? I hate counter balanced handles. Any suggestions or guidance is appreciated.

Thanks!

David

Hi David,

Since the Pro Gear 251 uses the same handle as Penn Jigmaster, please check out my offset handle. It is around $30.00 with the round 45mm EVA knob.

http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=22950.0

Thanks,
Alan

mrwilson99

Thanks for the recommendations! I will hold off for a bit and decide if i am going to fish this reel enough to upgrade handle. Upgraded drags last night and feels solid.
David

MarkT

The internals are pretty much the same as a Jigmaster too including the drags.  Think of it as an Accurized Jigmaster or, given it's form factor, a Magnum Squidder.

mrwilson99

Don't laugh at me, but Keith (handi2) sent me some Newell drags for 200-300 series and I was able to use those in replacement of the stock drags. One thing i did upgrade was the top spring washer, the PG one was tiny and to me served to purpose to distribute the pressure evenly. So I used a Newell spring washer and felt solid!

Quote from: MarkT on January 05, 2018, 10:31:54 PM
The internals are pretty much the same as a Jigmaster too including the drags.  Think of it as an Accurized Jigmaster or, given it's form factor, a Magnum Squidder.
David

MarkT

Not laughing.  Newell 200/300/400 series reels use the same size washers as Jigmasters too.  I've upped the drag on Penn's by using the Newell Belleville (spring) washers rather than the stock ones.

mrwilson99

I appreciate everyone on this board, I am learning something new everyday and used to depend on people to service my reels or overcharge me for replacement parts.

Very valuable board and feels great when you do your own reel service or as most folks on here...BEEF up your gear for a bigger fish!

Quote from: MarkT on January 05, 2018, 10:44:08 PM
Not laughing.  Newell 200/300/400 series reels use the same size washers as Jigmasters too.  I've upped the drag on Penn's by using the Newell Belleville (spring) washers rather than the stock ones.
David

Bryan Young

The max drag for that reel is 13#. Anything over, the spool flexes and the sides of the spool will contact the frame.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D