Main Menu

Papa-Saka

Started by David Hall, January 05, 2018, 03:02:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

David Hall

Okay a little word play on the recipe.  One of my favorite meals is Mousakka, Greek in origin, it follows the same basic recipe of just about every other culture,  meat and vegetables cooked together in a dish, my mother used to make something she called Shepard's pie, it was a dish full of ground beef and vegetables with mashed potatoes on top.  Maybe my favorite comfort food of all time. 
  So I been having an urge for this dish lately, it's cold outside and I gotta get me some.  Problem!  The wife has a deep childhood aversion to eggplant.  Solution!  Use zucchini instead!  Here it is, the recipe was right off the internet excepting that I like potato in mine so I combined a couple of recipes so I could get my taters I. There.
The key is to sauté the onion, meat, spices, tomatoes and tomato paste and red wine until the liquid is almost completely evaporated and the mixture is dry. Otherwise you end up with soup on yer platter.  No problem if you do just put it in a bowl and tell everyone you changed your mind and decided to make soup!  I'm sure it's still gonna taste wonderful. 

David Hall

Layer the dish starting with zucchini, then potatoes, then salt and pepper to taste, add the meat mixture, another layer of taters and zucchini and top it all off with a buttery bechamel sauce and bake for 30minutes.  Layer shaved cheese, in this case I used A fresh shaved parmigiano regiano.  Bake for another 20-30minutes until golden brown. 

David Hall

I still have about 40 minutes before I can eat it and folks are lining up already.  Serve with Caesar salad a crusty French bread and a nice Cabernet. 

Alto Mare

That  looks good Dave, especially on a day as today at my end.
That's how I layer potatoes when I make Baccala'...enjoy it!

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

David Hall

It's cooling down now!

festus

Sounds great.  I grow eggplant most every year and my wife doesn't like it.  Zucchini would be an adequate substitute in moussaka.

David Hall

The money shot

Dominick

Looks good David.  I love eggplant so I would make 2.  One with eggplant and one with zukes.  I think that all the people that hate eggplant were served under cooked eggplant.  Under cooked eggplant tastes terrible.  Did you ever make her eggplant parmigiana?  When the eggplant is well cooked there is nothing like it.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

David Hall

Quote from: Dominick on January 05, 2018, 05:07:03 AM
Looks good David.  I love eggplant so I would make 2.  One with eggplant and one with zukes.  I think that all the people that hate eggplant were served under cooked eggplant.  Under cooked eggplant tastes terrible.  Did you ever make her eggplant parmigiana?  When the eggplant is well cooked there is nothing like it.  Dominick

I'm gonna have to sneak some in on her one of these days.   Maybe just as I'm heading out of town for a five day fishing trip, in case it doesn't go over.

Shark Hunter

Very Nice David.
My Wife makes a Shepherd's pie that is to die for.
Life is Good!

Bryan Young

Fabulous. I'm starving now!!!
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

ChileRelleno

OMG'osh does that look tasty!
Very nice dish.
Ragnar Benson:
"Never, under any circumstances, ever become a refugee.
Die if you must, but die on your home turf with your face to the wind, not in some stinking hellhole 2,000 kilometers away, among people you neither know nor care about."