Main Menu

Chicken soup...

Started by Alto Mare, January 05, 2018, 09:18:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alto Mare

Well, the weather has been unbearable here in the northeast. Today we hit 17 and going down to 1 this evening.
There is nothing better than a nice bowl of chicken soup to warm your bones

I cooked this one for 3 hours at medium low heat after the initial boil and added the potatoes 1 hour before done.
My wife likes to cook it 2 hours, but the third hour is when the broth gets darker, I tried but she still does it her way.
Since I'm home today, it is done my way ;)
I also decided to make some screppelle , Dominick was having a hard time with his face to face connection and couldn't get what I was saying.
Time for a new phone Dominick , now you could see what I meant. :)
Screppelle are similar to crapes, everyone has their own way on how to make them.
I like to make mine this way:
1- 1 egg...I like it light, some put 2
2 - 2cups of flour
3-  a little salt and pepper
4 - a couple of scallions sliced really thin
5-  1 cup of fresh grated Parmigiano Reggiano, I usually get a 10lb chunk from Jetro, which is 1/8 of the wheel, I do that once a month and
     cost me around $70...not bad
6 - about 20 oz of really cold sparkling water, or seltzer, I used seltzer and didn't have to worry about being cold, i had it in the back room :).
You want the batter really liquidy. And that's about it. Oh, I like to fry mine with olive oil, not butter

Deboned the chicken and kept the potatoes and carrots, the onion and celery I usually toss.

The broth has been strained. Before my wife gets home I will warm it up, place 2 screppelle in a bowl and add the steaming hot chicken broth over those with a tablespoon of Parmigiano on top.
My assistant didn't move an inch while I was cooking, she knows daddy is cooking today :)

she gets the scraps on the left, after I clean all the bones.

Bon appetit!...

Stay warm,

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Reel 224

Good for the soul, When Ruth makes it with dumplings it is great!

Joe
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

thorhammer

Wow Sal that looks fantastic. I'm in Philly Monday, I may steal your leftovers!

George6308

Better not let our mayor see that soup: he may want a soup tax !

Alto Mare

Quote from: thorhammer on January 05, 2018, 09:28:26 PM
Wow Sal that looks fantastic. I'm in Philly Monday, I may steal your leftovers!
John, you're crazy coming in to Philly at this time :)
Maybe we could meet up, but it will need to be after 6:00pm.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

David Hall

Warms my soul just reading your post.  This is how it's done fromt the heart.

STRIPER LOU

Yup, tough to beat chicken soup in this weather. Sometimes I'll make pasta fagioli on the soupy side and that's good too.

Dog is saying, soup for me please! ;D

have a great evening,  ..  Lou

swill88

A crepe soul chicken soup sounds great even in this 63d Calif weather.

mo65

Looks great Sal...a cold weather classic! 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

thorhammer

Dominick

That was a lousy connection.  Now we have to figure out whether it is my phone your phone or Google does not know what it is doing.   :D Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Shark Hunter

Nice Cookin' Sal. ;)
I had to work today and trim my fingernails. ;)
Life is Good!

foakes

Looks great, Sal!

Chile Relleno Del Norte!

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Bryan Young

Looks so hook Sal. It's comfort food to me.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Dominick

Quote from: Bryan Young on January 06, 2018, 05:26:45 PM
Looks so hook Sal. It's comfort food to me.
Huh! Is that like "cool."   :D Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.