California Cuisine

Started by foakes, January 06, 2018, 03:05:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

foakes

Sue and I enjoy finding out of the way places to eat that are outstanding.

To me, outstanding means a place that we would drive 3.5 hours each way just to eat lunch or dinner -- then come back the same day.

Only a couple that we know of that meet this bar -- one of the two is Monterey's Fish House in Monterey, California.

Off the beaten tourist path, in an old house close to the Naval School.

Owned by a couple of Italian brothers who catch the fresh fish nearly daily.

Staff has been there for decades.

Looks like a hole in the wall compared to the fancy places on Cannery Row or in Carmel -- but it is clean as a pin, and has the best seafood we have ever tasted.

We fouud it by accident a couple of years ago.

My favorite dish is Calimari Eggplant Parmesan -- (2) BIG calimari steaks breaded in egg batter, (2) slices of eggplant perfectly done on top of the calimari, smothered in homemade marinara sauce, pasta on the side, all the fresh bread you want, sauteed fresh vegis, homemade clam chowder, topped off with bananas foster made fresh at your table served over vanilla ice cream.

Everything is outstanding -- salmon, sword, rockfish, clams, oysters, everything...

Like I say, this is only one of two places that we would hop in the car -- drive 7 hours there and back -- just for lunch.

Prices are very reasonable -- food is over the top, and as fresh as it gets.

Check out the number 3 video labeled Ocean's Bounty.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/shows/diners-drive-ins-and-dives/episodes/california-cruisin

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

festus

You are lucky, to find such quality cuisine around here we'd have to drive at least 8 hours to the east coast.

STRIPER LOU

My kind of food Fred. I could eat that for breakfast!

............Lou

Bryan Young

:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

mrwilson99

Been to Monterey my very first time 2 years ago and it was amazing, from the aquarium to the 17 mile drive, to the few restaurants we tried. The view and hikes were also amazing. I will keep this place in mind if we go back again! Thank you for your recommendation!
David

swill88

Loved that video! Thanks Fred.

That's a 'must go to' spot for sure.

Steve

ChileRelleno

Nothing like that down here  :'(
Ragnar Benson:
"Never, under any circumstances, ever become a refugee.
Die if you must, but die on your home turf with your face to the wind, not in some stinking hellhole 2,000 kilometers away, among people you neither know nor care about."

Rivverrat

Quote from: festus on January 06, 2018, 03:28:21 PM
You are lucky, to find such quality cuisine around here we'd have to drive at least 8 hours to the east coast.

I'd have to go to the grocery store

Alto Mare

Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

ReelFishingProblems

How did I live there for 3 years and never eat there!?

Guess I need to get stationed there a third time!

David Hall

Used to be a quite little unknown place, I really liked it then.