Gear and Tackle Needed

Started by Bryan Young, January 06, 2018, 10:11:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bryan Young

What gear should we start planning to take?

I know most of you are not worried as you have all of the stuff. I likely do as well but still want to prepare as early as possible.

I'm thinking of 35#-40#, 50#, 60# rigs. Do I need an 80# and 100# rig?
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

MarkT

Sounds right. I'd assume you'll hit the Rocks and the Ridge and will be looking at school sized YFT, YT, Dorado and Wahoo.  I'll let you know what size YFT are around when I get back on 10/3 from my 10 day.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

natch!

10/9 is coming up fast. Everyone should think about dialing in their gear, nothing makes The Boss angrier than one of his minions with a sticky drag.
  Seriously though, what should we be planning for. Maybe Isla Guadalupe and local bluefin, which I guess would mean 50,60 & 80 live bait gear and a bit heavier for dropper loop. The Rocks & The Ridge as previously mentioned? I guess that means 30, 40 & 50 live bait along with yoyo, popping and/or surface iron stuff.  Inshore?
  Rocks and ridge also probably means wahoo. Those would be a new experience for me. I know of bombs and jigs but have never rigged them for wahoo. Then there's the whole wire deal for bait, any tips would be appreciated. Oh boy, and hook types and sizes and knots and leaders.
  Are things like chairs encouraged or discouraged. Which bottle(s) should I bring.
  I'm basically just trying to drum up some excitement since no one here at the house wants to talk fishing.

Jack

ldoret94

I'm bringing a folding chair this time but will defer to the experienced fishermen regarding rigs and rigging.

MarkT

Odds are the bait will be decent sized Sardines so a 2/0 hook works.  With Wahoo, when in doubt fish bait.  They take it readily and it will often work better than bombs, iron or raiders. They sell pre-made Wahoo bait leaders which are an easy way to go.  I use the ones with 44# wire and 2/0 hooks.  I take a couple of 8-9' rods with TranX 500's for throwing bombs as well as surface iron and poppers.  If you want to pop for Wahoo, and they will hit them, use a wire leader and single hooks.  Sharpen those hooks on your lures! If you don't want to bother with wiring your lures use at least 130# fluoro as a leader. Losing lures is a cost of doing business in Wahoo country.  I've had them chew through wired bombs and wire bait leaders.  I think I've lost Wahoo about every way you can... chewed through bait and bomb leaders, cut off, broken off, broke off rather than getting spooled (I think one is probably still heading south with a raider hanging from his lip). probably others too that I've managed to suppress.  Wahoo fishing can be very exciting as well as frustrating.  I've had days when I lost 10 throughout the day and finally got one just as the sun was setting.  It was a good day after all!  I've had 6 Wahoo days that were really fun too! Ya know, on Alan's trips there's always opportunities to drown your sorrow. I'm surprised your worried about tackle rather than what booze to pack!

Never pass up a trolling rotation in Wahoo country!  On the Excel some of the guys call me Cowbell Mark because of the Cowbell I like to troll with that often stops the boat.  I'm taking a Nomad DTX Minnow this year too that are supposed to be a hot lure.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

DEA

Hey fellas, just curious; for leaders are you guys using L2L, inline with a knot/serve or straight knot?

Thx

Will

Porthos

• For conventionals with solid braid main, straight knot...RP/John Collins
  • For spinners with solid braid main, hollow connection with nubs + nail knots, and glue

Porthos

My order of Daiwa Sealine 300H/400H sideplate screws arrived today, so those will be mechanically ready to go soon.

Once the stainless steel Penn 15-155 dog arrives from Lee, the Monofil will be complete, and all the reels for the trip will be ready for top shots.

alantani

Quote from: Porthos on August 30, 2018, 10:54:40 PM
My order of Daiwa Sealine 300H/400H sideplate screws arrived today, so those will be mechanically ready to go soon.

Once the stainless steel Penn 15-155 dog arrives from Lee, the Monofil will be complete, and all the reels for the trip will be ready for top shots.

ah, going old school! 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Porthos

Big Tim

Vintage Offshore Tackle

If there's any chance that you are going to take a shot at the local big bluefin, you probably want to be fishing a minimum of 100 lb. for the flat-falls and the heaviest gear that you have for the day-time kite.  The boat probably has kite rods with 150-200 lb. so check with them before you bring one of your own.

Porthos

Quote from: Vintage Offshore Tackle on August 31, 2018, 06:42:41 AM
If there's any chance that you are going to take a shot at the local big bluefin, you probably want to be fishing a minimum of 100 lb. for the flat-falls and the heaviest gear that you have for the day-time kite.  The boat probably has kite rods with 150-200 lb. so check with them before you bring one of your own.

For the just-in-case BFT, have one Daiwa 600H with Bryan's 5-stack with delrins under gear and under star that is spooled with 700-800 yds of 100lb braid and mounted to a Daiwa VIPA6455XXH. Had it with me on every SOA trip since 2014 but this is the first year with TWO delrins (...all Sal's fault on the latter).  :D

R46chevy

How many rod spots will we have?