alan tani @ alantani.com fishing reel repair rebuild tutorial Gear and Tackle Needed
Reel Repair by Alan Tani
July 20, 2018, 10:38:36 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Gear and Tackle Needed  (Read 7040 times)
Bryan Young
Ultimate Upgrades Drags
Administrator

The Reel Whisperer

« on: January 06, 2018, 02:11:29 PM »

What gear should we start planning to take?

I know most of you are not worried as you have all of the stuff. I likely do as well but still want to prepare as early as possible.

Iím thinking of 35#-40#, 50#, 60# rigs. Do I need an 80# and 100# rig?

Cheesy I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. Cheesy
alantani
admin
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2018, 02:16:07 PM »

Probably 30 to 80 pound.

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!
MarkT

Mission Viejo, CA, USA

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2018, 02:24:24 PM »

Sounds right. Iíd assume youíll hit the Rocks and the Ridge and will be looking at school sized YFT, YT, Dorado and Wahoo.  Iíll let you know what size YFT are around when I get back on 10/3 from my 10 day.

When I was your age Pluto was a planet!
natch!

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2018, 03:18:45 PM »

10/9 is coming up fast. Everyone should think about dialing in their gear, nothing makes The Boss angrier than one of his minions with a sticky drag.
  Seriously though, what should we be planning for. Maybe Isla Guadalupe and local bluefin, which I guess would mean 50,60 & 80 live bait gear and a bit heavier for dropper loop. The Rocks & The Ridge as previously mentioned? I guess that means 30, 40 & 50 live bait along with yoyo, popping and/or surface iron stuff.  Inshore?
  Rocks and ridge also probably means wahoo. Those would be a new experience for me. I know of bombs and jigs but have never rigged them for wahoo. Then there's the whole wire deal for bait, any tips would be appreciated. Oh boy, and hook types and sizes and knots and leaders.
  Are things like chairs encouraged or discouraged. Which bottle(s) should I bring.
  I'm basically just trying to drum up some excitement since no one here at the house wants to talk fishing.

Jack
ldoret94

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2018, 04:25:55 PM »

I'm bringing a folding chair this time but will defer to the experienced fishermen regarding rigs and rigging.
MarkT

Mission Viejo, CA, USA

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2018, 05:27:13 PM »

Odds are the bait will be decent sized Sardines so a 2/0 hook works.  With Wahoo, when in doubt fish bait.  They take it readily and it will often work better than bombs, iron or raiders. They sell pre-made Wahoo bait leaders which are an easy way to go.  I use the ones with 44# wire and 2/0 hooks.  I take a couple of 8-9' rods with TranX 500's for throwing bombs as well as surface iron and poppers.  If you want to pop for Wahoo, and they will hit them, use a wire leader and single hooks.  Sharpen those hooks on your lures! If you don't want to bother with wiring your lures use at least 130# fluoro as a leader. Losing lures is a cost of doing business in Wahoo country.  I've had them chew through wired bombs and wire bait leaders.  I think I've lost Wahoo about every way you can... chewed through bait and bomb leaders, cut off, broken off, broke off rather than getting spooled (I think one is probably still heading south with a raider hanging from his lip). probably others too that I've managed to suppress.  Wahoo fishing can be very exciting as well as frustrating.  I've had days when I lost 10 throughout the day and finally got one just as the sun was setting.  It was a good day after all!  I've had 6 Wahoo days that were really fun too! Ya know, on Alan's trips there's always opportunities to drown your sorrow. I'm surprised your worried about tackle rather than what booze to pack!

Never pass up a trolling rotation in Wahoo country!  On the Excel some of the guys call me Cowbell Mark because of the Cowbell I like to troll with that often stops the boat.  I'm taking a Nomad DTX Minnow this year too that are supposed to be a hot lure.

When I was your age Pluto was a planet!
DEA

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2018, 09:18:33 AM »

Hey fellas, just curious; for leaders are you guys using L2L, inline with a knot/serve or straight knot?

Thx

Will
Porthos

« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2018, 09:33:28 AM »

• For conventionals with solid braid main, straight knot...RP/John Collins
  • For spinners with solid braid main, hollow connection with nubs + nail knots, and glue
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: