New Progear Violator drag question

Started by wahging, October 14, 2017, 02:45:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wahging

I just purchased  new Progear V42 for local vertical jigging and cannot get more than 9-10lbs drag.  Took apart reel to clean off excess grease and found that it had only 3 drag washers instead of the 5 shown in diagram.  Tried to contact Progear but no response.  Did i get an older version??  My guess is it looks like the older CS600 drags with thick fibre and metal washers. If so can it be converted to 5 washer stack using the newer thinner washers if avail.

Rancanfish

Pics of the gear / washers?  Depth of the gear itself would determine if you have room to play.

I thought the new version was akin to old CS series with only three like you said, so curious which diagram you are referring to?  In the box?

Violator is the latest afaik. 

Assembly issue?  Back together with same drag numbers?  I can't think of anything else except braid slipping on the spool.

I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

wahging

not hm now but I was looking at the diagram which came for V42 Violator.  It showed 5 washers I thiink...noticed the V52 tutorial showed 4 drag washers

wahging

was able to contact Progear on Facebook and he said the 3 stack is the newer setup....sending in reel for repair.

wahging

They replaced the 3 stack with older 5 stack and now I have 19lbs of drag!

Rancanfish

mrwilson99

The 5 stacks was changed to 3 stack. So you have the newer version and also the 3 stack is much smoother compared to the 5 stack which was rough on high drag settings.
David

Rancanfish

Hey MrW99, are you saying there was a Violator w/ 5 stack? And then they went back to 3 stack?

Or are you referring to older P/G's like 545 / 454?

mrwilson99

Violator started off with 5 stacks, but due to vibrations are high settings, it was dropped down to 3 stack with different drag material. Also, when cranked up, you won't feel vibrations or as people say "hops"

New stacks are much more smoother.

Quote from: Rancanfish on October 24, 2017, 01:13:25 AM
Hey MrW99, are you saying there was a Violator w/ 5 stack? And then they went back to 3 stack?

Or are you referring to older P/G's like 545 / 454?

David

nlam004

I know its a couple months old, but replacing the orange fiber washer under the main gear with a greased carbon fiber drag washer will help smooth out the 5 stack. 

Nick

Bryan Young

I'm not sure. I have only seen the reel but never fished it. I'm not sure where the vibrations were coming from.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

mrwilson99

It was from the drag's material Bryan. The new ones don't carry the same, I believe carbontex now.

Quote from: Bryan Young on January 07, 2018, 09:34:04 AM
I'm not sure. I have only seen the reel but never fished it. I'm not sure where the vibrations were coming from.
David