Spinning Reel Help

Started by Lunker Larry, January 07, 2018, 05:18:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lunker Larry

I have an old reel that needs a bail spring. It is a COMPAC reel made in Korea. Been trying to find one for years and thought one of the eagle eyed experts here could help out. If memory serves me right it is a double coil with one end 90 degrees up to stick in the bail end and the other is 90 degrees to the left to brace on the tab off the screw post. Was Compac made by another company? Any suggestions for an alternate?
Appreciate your time. Have a good day.
You know that moment when your steak is on the grill and you can already feel your mouth watering.
Do vegans feel the same when mowing the lawn?

Midway Tommy

Not familiar with that specific reel but if it's a two coil spring with two arms just about any similar gauge & size spring can easily be adapted to work, or you can make your own. Just cut the arms to the appropriate length for tension, bent the 90s in the direction needed and stick them in the rotor and bail arm holes. Then push the bail arm over the center screw hole and install the bail screw. I add lib all the time on reels with hard to find springs.   
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

Reel 224

You could try a Pfluger compact bail spring and modify it if needed. Try Penn parts

Joe
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

foakes

Hi Larry,

Been away today, sorry to respond so late.

Have many bail springs.

That one likely takes a dog-leg instead of a coil -- but I could be wrong.

Problem is matching it up without the old spring or having the rotor on my bench.

You are welcome to whatever one will fit at N/C -- we just need to work out the size and fit somehow.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Lunker Larry

If I still had the spring that would make life easier, however, it has long been sent to the bone yard.
If I take a clearer picture of where it installs would that give a better idea on the type of spring? For some reason I remember it as a double but I could easily be wrong. There is absolutely nothing anywhere that I can find regarding these reels. It is a nice little reel and I thought I'd give it some life again. You get tired of looking at it and putting it away again year after year
You know that moment when your steak is on the grill and you can already feel your mouth watering.

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

foakes

Maybe I could send you a dozen in various sizes and configurations -- then you might get lucky, or you may have to modify one.

Then just send back the others.

That way no big expense or hassle with postage.  

I have a lot of Compac reels -- most are junk to be honest with you.  But this one looks like it was made by some other company with a Compac label -- maybe Daiwa, Ryobi, or some other Japanese maker.  So it is well worth getting back into the rotation -- IMO.

If this is what you want to do, and if no one else has the same reel so we can see the bail spring and match it -- just PM me, and I'll get them in the mail.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Midway Tommy

Quote from: Lunker Larry on January 09, 2018, 09:04:28 PM
If I still had the spring that would make life easier, however, it has long been sent to the bone yard.
If I take a clearer picture of where it installs would that give a better idea on the type of spring? For some reason I remember it as a double but I could easily be wrong. There is absolutely nothing anywhere that I can find regarding these reels. It is a nice little reel and I thought I'd give it some life again. You get tired of looking at it and putting it away again year after year

Yes, with the back side of bail arm book paged right next to the rotor where it installs. A dimension from the spring hole to where the coil loop sits at rest on both the bail arm and rotor would also help narrow it to a couple of sizes that could work or at least be adapted. 

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Lunker Larry

Shark Hunter. Thanks and that does look very close. I always thought it might be a Ryobi for some reason but couldn't match anything up. I honestly don't know anything about spinners so that may be a bit of a handicap.
Again Fred, as always, your offers are most gracious. I'll dig out my old digital camera that can take close ups and try and get a clearer picture and take a measurement or two as suggested by Midway Tommy and see what comes from it.
Thanks again all.

Lunker Larry

Quiet morning all caught up and awaiting parts so, here's a few pics that may help determining the spring. Sorry for the blurred picture with upside down micrometer. It reads 60 for the width of the inner space.
As always, appreciate your help. The stuff you guys know is beyond me.

Midway Tommy

Larry, you need to remove the tape & bail spring cover. There's a hole under the cover that one of the spring arms fit into. Take a look at Fred's springs photo and you'll see the arms I'm talking about.

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Lunker Larry

Not sure what you're referring to Tom. This is all there is. One part of the spring fits in the holeon the bail and the other rests against the stopper 'wall' beside the screw post.

foakes

That looks good, Larry --

I'll put some bail springs in the mail on Tuesday, after tomorrows MLK birthday.

PM your mailing information, when you get a chance.

Best,

Fred

--------

Fred O.

Lunker Larry

You always come through. Thanks Fred.
PM sent.
Larry

Midway Tommy

Quote from: Lunker Larry on January 14, 2018, 03:25:26 PM
Not sure what you're referring to Tom. This is all there is. One part of the spring fits in the holeon the bail and the other rests against the stopper 'wall' beside the screw post.

Thanks, Larry! That answers any possible questions & Fred, with his in depth experience & enormous stash will have you covered.

Now, back to my original wonderment, many of that style reel have a small hole in the "box" just like the one in the bail arm. Those type have springs with two arms that have opposite 90 degree bends to fit into the holes and create the spring tension. I've never seen one that rests against a stud corner like this one but clearly Fred has. You should be in like flint now.  :)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE